Using Textured Paint

Category Painting
Textured paint adds a a unique finish to your walls as well as helping to hide imperfections on damaged or older plaster walls. This is a guide about using textured paint.

I want to paint my walls with textured paint, but I have no idea how to. I did a search here once, but didn't bookmark it and I can't find it again! I would appreciate any advice I can get here. Our walls are imperfect, I thought maybe the textured paint would help it to look better. Any advice?

Thanks so much!
Ariela from FL

Answers

I used the Ralph Lauren River Rock textured paint in the dining room of my old house. WARNING: it's a lot harder to work with than regular paint. You can't just 'spot fix' because the texture will show the fixes. You should absolutely get the right rollers, etc that the paint recommends and be real careful during the 'cutting in' process to not get any streaks with the brush since it's hard to fix.

The results are great, but it is time consuming and it took about three coats for us to finally get it right.

With imperfect walls, you could also try some faux techniques (like ragging or sponging). It, too, does a lot to disguise some of the wall's 'warts' and in my opinion takes less time.

Best of Luck to you.

Have you tried Home Depot? They teach you how to do faux painting so I am sure they have lots of instructions on their website or in their store about it.

Thanks, Tina and Christi. We will surely try Home Depot for help on this.We are living in a Modular home that was previously wall papered, it seems it was mudded over then painted.. alot of the
imperfections show. It has flat paint but was very easy to wash.
I just thought the textured paint would help. The ceilings are that
crumbly stuff that falls when you look at it crosseyed :) I dread
painting that but it has to be done. Thanks again, I spend so
much time crusing this site, its great!!!

We have textured walls, not my choosing. It was like that when we bought the house. We had to fix one wall when the roof leaked and used sand in with the paint to get the texture look. It matches perfectly.

What type of products should I buy to create a textured paint for my bathroom wall?

By Nora from San Antonio, TX

Answers

Ask at a home improvement store. I think I have heard you can buy some paints that already have stuff in them.

Lowe's has paint additives,including one in a box for like 4.99 called"suede texture paint additive". It turns a gallon of paint into suede paint.

I've heard that the stores sell a type of powder that can take regular house paint and turn it into textured paint. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is something else that I could use to get the same results, sort of a homemade texture paint powder? Thanks for any info!

Tammy from Fort McCoy, FL

Answers

On two of the homes that we owned, we made our own textured paint. Purchase a large 4 or 5 gallon pail of white joint compound, and mix in 1 gallon of inexpensive white flat paint. Stir until well mixed, then pour into a paint pan and apply it with a textured roller. The roller has small wirey loops that give the paint a bumpy texture when applied to the surface.

You can make your own textured paint at a fraction of the cost and I've never heard of the powder it must be something new on the market.

If you go to any Pro Paint Store, (General Paint, for example), they will sell you a small bag of ground walnut shell. Add it to the paint, shake 5 minutes, paint.

It is most commonly used on floors and walkways where traction is needed to prevent slipping. Perfect in Gelcoat for boat and marine applications, but also will give you a textured finish which will take a heck of a lot of elbow grease to remove , if textured goes out of style, like it is here where we live.