AdviceDogs

Dog Won't Pee in Back Yard

We just moved into a new apartment that has a small yard. We got it so it would be easier to let the dogs out to go to the bathroom. But our 2 year old Boxer mix seems to hate going to the bathroom in our new yard for some reason. I am not sure why.

We moved in a week ago and I have only been able to get him to pee out there 2 times. He will hold it for a whole day and just keep going to the door and the gate of the fence wanting me to take him out there to pee on the bushes out there. I even bought a small bush for our yard for him to pee on. But he still refuses.

I do not want him to hold it so long he gets a urinary tract infection, but I have no idea how to get him to go in the yard. He knows "go potty", but he just goes to the gate and whines when I say to potty. Any suggestions? I plan to praise him like crazy any time he goes out in the yard, but I cannot get him to go out there at all so that I can praise him.

By Christie from Morrisville, NC

Dogs need to "mark" their territory but I once tried capturing my dogs urine and pouring it in the back yard. It worked! From then on she went in the back.

handyladi has a great idea. I would try that, definitely. Otherwise, I would say that your dog is smelling another animal's scent in your backyard. He may not feel like he owns it. Try handyladi's idea, and see if it helps.