Dog Won't Pee in Back Yard

We just moved into a new apartment that has a small yard. We got it so it would be easier to let the dogs out to go to the bathroom. But our 2 year old Boxer mix seems to hate going to the bathroom in our new yard for some reason. I am not sure why.

We moved in a week ago and I have only been able to get him to pee out there 2 times. He will hold it for a whole day and just keep going to the door and the gate of the fence wanting me to take him out there to pee on the bushes out there. I even bought a small bush for our yard for him to pee on. But he still refuses.

I do not want him to hold it so long he gets a urinary tract infection, but I have no idea how to get him to go in the yard. He knows "go potty", but he just goes to the gate and whines when I say to potty. Any suggestions? I plan to praise him like crazy any time he goes out in the yard, but I cannot get him to go out there at all so that I can praise him.

By Christie from Morrisville, NC

Dogs need to "mark" their territory but I once tried capturing my dogs urine and pouring it in the back yard. It worked! From then on she went in the back.

handyladi has a great idea. I would try that, definitely. Otherwise, I would say that your dog is smelling another animal's scent in your backyard. He may not feel like he owns it. Try handyladi's idea, and see if it helps.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 6, 2010
Pee Pee Cone
Making Pee Pee Cones
cat on carpet
Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎄
🍂