Calendar Wall Art

Do you want to recycle old calendars and make your home look good? Here's what I did. My husband is a railroader and had a calendar with trains on it. The pictures were wonderful. At the end of the year, I bought some cheap frames from the Goodwill store, cut the pictures off the calendar and matted and framed them. They now hang in my family room downstairs. They look great. You could never tell they were off a calendar! Cheap too. The cost of the calendar (which I would have recycled anyway) and a buck for a frame at Goodwill.)

I did the same when my son moved into his first flat. He wanted a 'sea' theme, so I picked up a couple of cheap, out of date calendars, both sea themes - shells, coral & fish. One was a small version of the regular sized one & they cost $2 total.

I bought a sheet of chipboard (you could also use a sheet of polystyrene), had him cut it to the sizes of the calendar pictures that he liked. We then filled the sides with a filler, then painted the edges white paint. They made a great montage. I also bought a 'beachy' sarong, & a piece of dowel, then cut the dowel in two, painted them white & used string to tie the sarong to the top & bottom from the rods & hung it up as a wall hanging. Later, he decided to use it to look like a bed-head. We also made use of shells, etc, that we put around candle bases & put some around the candles. This gave us lots of 'beachy' things, & it looked great! He loved it. You could also use a small piece of fisherman's net, put some shells on it, then drape it over a lampshade - just another idea. The best way to decorate is to find a theme that you like, then think of all the ways you can use regular day to day things to make it your very own signature design.

I've received mail when the other person has used old calendar pages to make homemade envelopes. They used a large size envelope as a template & glue to make their "own" version of envelopes. One would have to use enough glue to ensure it would not open in transit. But I thought what a clever idea, instead of filling up the landfills!

Also, decorative calendar pages could be used for gift wrap.

February 18, 2008 Flag

For beautiful wall art on a budget, I use my old calendars and save my favorite pictures to hang up. You can start a file of favorite pictures and rotate them, and even frame them if you wish.

By Karen from Big Rapids,MI

Answers:

Calendar Wall Art

My husband is a teacher & saves nice pix from old calendars to decorate his classroom(s). (01/18/2007)

By pamphyila

Calendar Wall Art

I agree, Karen. I have bought inexpensive mats and frames and have used calendar pictures that look just as nice as expensive artwork. (01/18/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Calendar Wall Art

I cut apart gift bags from the dollar store and frame them, makes great pics for the kids rooms. (01/18/2007)

By Designersheets

Calendar Wall Art

I have several old calendars I've been saving (one from 1999!) for this purpose. Trouble is, the pages are not standard sizes, and custom framing would kinda defeat the thrifty purpose. Does anyone have any ideas for inexpensively framing or mounting calendar prints? (02/03/2007)

By Kelly

Calendar Wall Art

Kelly, for your odd sized calendar pictures I would suggest buying standard sized frames and buy colored card stock or poster board to fit the frames, then mount your pictures onto the colored posterboard. The frames will be all the same size and give you a symmetrical look, and the pictures will be all different sizes and will help to draw the eye to your artwork. (02/03/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Repurposing Calendar Pictures
Repurposing Calendar Pictures
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating ArtFebruary 18, 2008
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Decorated and embellished fabric calendar.
Decorating a Linen Wall Calendar
family photos
Making a Photo Calendar
Circling Calendar Date in Red
Using A Calendar
🎉
🎄