Granny Square Afghan

Every year after the holidays, I choose a project to help fill the long winter evenings while watching my favorite TV programs. This is the end result of last winter's project. It is king size and it took 64 twelve inch granny squares to complete. It was made mostly from leftover yarn from other projects or purchased at yard sales. I used blue around the edge of each square and also two rows around the bedspread after it was assembled. It is very warm without the weight of a comforter.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Dear Harlean,

Oh, how your beautiful afghan brings back wonderful memories for me. This was the first pattern my beloved mother taught me to crochet years ago. I can't remember how many squares I made that year, but enjoyed it so much, everyone I knew, and some I didn't, received a laprobe or small afghan made with granny squares! Since then, I have made many afghans and used many different patterns, but my very best loved one is and always will be the "granny square."

Thank you so much for sharing the picture. You've done yourself proud!'

Karen - Gainesville, Mo.

Hi...I love this afghan! Can you please tell me how many squares across and how many squares lengthwise were used? I was guessing at 8 across and 8 lengthwise...but I want to be sure. Thanks for the idea...Nancy.. serenityscornergallery AT yahoo.com

this is so beautiful...a lot of work, but your results are worth it...

Fantastic job! I love how you used mostly leftover yarns, now THAT is thrifty!

It's beautiful! You did a wonderful job!

It's gorgeous.

Harlean,

I just wanted to tell you how grateful I am at "all"

your posts! Great details and photos. Your family is so fortunate to have you...such a creative loving person! I truly enjoy seeing what you've posted next! Thanks!

Jennifer CA

I just now found time to check back for feedback on my projects. Thanks to all for the compliments, and to answer Nancy, Yes there are 8 rows of squares, 8 squares in a row. It is so easy to line it up and get it straight on our king size bed, as the overlap is one row of squares along the bottom and one row on each side. And my bonus is that due to arthrithis in my knee, I was experiencing a lot of pain during the nite...enough to wake me up. We had a heavy comforter over us, and when I would turn in my sleep, it would hurt my knee. This is as warm as that comforter was, but not nearly as heavy, and it eliminated the problem. This winter, my project is cutting and painting wooden yard art. I will be stockpiling for a craft show next September. And as a part of that project, putting together a CD with pictures of all my yard art pieces. Hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas.

Harlean from Arkansas

Your afghan is just amazing! I did one like it 10 years ago, but I did mine with CHUNKY yarn and the darn thing weighs more than I do! I love anything to do with granny squares, keep up the hard work! Carla from Cobourg, Canada

Your granny square afghan bed coverlet is absolutely beautiful! I taught myself to crochet and knit but I haven't crocheted in a very long time. My goal is to make one of these for our bed and one for my guest bed. I guess I should start learning the stitches again! Keep up the great work!

Paula - Fort Valley, VA

Could you tell me how many squares it take to make a blanket or a throw

Anonymous

Your granny square afghan is very pretty.

Great Job, Harlean, and a beautiful use of leftover yarn. You're an inspiration, I'm busy with my first 'nice' knitted sweater!

I love the Granny Square pattern and use it a lot to make the giant granny square afghans for Project Linus. It works up quickly and is so pretty. We have yarn donated to the Chapter and I love using up the "scraps" to make a unique blanket for the children.