Wildlife: Broken Wing Butterfly

This little fellow decided to do his metamorphosis on the handle to my electric fence. I have been watching the cocoon waiting for the butterfly. Unfortunately a big storm blew in the same day he came out of his cocoon. He was blown into the horse water trough. I rescued him. He broke one of his wings, so he can't fly. For now, he is living with me until he can recover.

By Shannon

What a nice gentle thing to do Shannon. I think there are many people who wouldn't even think about helping an injured butterfly. You are getting my vote.

Thanks for sharing your RAK (Random Act of Kindness). I don't think I'll ever look at another butterfly quite the same now. I'll be looking for broken wings or hurt feet. I sincerely hope your little friend recovers and has a sweet long life.

MisMachado

Well done you.

Marg from England.

God bless you for looking out for one of God's most beautiful creatures. Even when I was terrified of every other insect, butterflies never frightened me. Thanks for sharing your little fellow with us.

Well done you! Pity there aren't more people like you around, I hope he recovers (I'm sure he will cause you will spoil) I really admire you for taking the time to save this little butterfly.

All the best for the future,

Take care. x

September 3, 2010 Flag

The beauty of nature. This butterfly had a broken wing and landed on my daughter's finger. He stayed with her for almost 10 minutes as she talked to him and gently touched him.

Butterfly and Little Girl

By Roe from New Hampton, Ny

Answers:

The Beauty of Butterflies and Little Girls

How sweet! My daughter would love to be that close to a butterfly =) (05/05/2006)

By crys7881

Wow, what a wonderful picture. Such a lucky girl. I'd love to be that close to a butterfly. I collect butterflies. Thanks for sharing (05/05/2006)

By grammar

What an inspiring photograph. My boyfriend had a butterfly land on his shoulder once and I just thought it was so amazing. She must be a very special little girl. Thanks for sharing. (05/05/2006)

By Pat5617

You should enter that photo in a magazine somewhere. She is a very pretty little girl with an amazing way with animals, it seems. (05/06/2006)

By Michele

This is more than precious, what a great experience. I live near Seattle and we have a place to visit where it is strictly for butterflies. It's called the Pacific Science Center. The fact that the butterfly had a little defect makes it even more special. I agree you should enter the picture somewhere. Thanks for sharing. (05/07/2006)

By Kersti from Bellevue

Great photo, why don't you submit it to your city's newspaper ? I bet they would use it for a spring/summer edition. Thanks for sharing. (05/08/2006)

By Claudia, MD

What beautiful communication between your daughter and nature, you can almost hear the conversation. Thank you for that. (05/08/2006)

By Vicki

butterflies flying from hand
Butterfly Photos
Photos WildlifeSeptember 3, 2010
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Rice paper butterfly on small pink flowers
Making a Butterfly Garden
wing chair
Covering a Wing Chair
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
🎉
🎄