Viceroy Butterfly Photos

Category Wildlife
The viceroy butterfly very closely resembles the monarch with a similar wing pattern. The viceroy is a native to North America including parts of Mexico and Canada. The caterpillars feed on the leaves of trees in the willow family. This guide contains viceroy butterfly photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
Our daughter was home for the weekend and she took this picture of a butterfly on our butterfly bush. I thought I had a monarch butterfly, but found out it's a viceroy. After looking up butterflies in our 1969 World Book Encyclopedia, I read that the two look alike. They have similar colors and markings.

In the photo of the picture in the encyclopedia, the monarch is at the top and the viceroy is at the bottom. The reading states the the monarch taste bad to birds, so they avoid both the monarch and the viceroy because of the similar colors and markings. I learned something today.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

So did I. Thanks for the post!

Reply Like this photo? 1