Viceroy Butterfly

Photo Description
Our daughter was home for the weekend and she took this picture of a butterfly on our butterfly bush. I thought I had a monarch butterfly, but found out it's a viceroy. After looking up butterflies in our 1969 World Book Encyclopedia, I read that the two look alike. They have similar colors and markings.

In the photo of the picture in the encyclopedia, the monarch is at the top and the viceroy is at the bottom. The reading states the the monarch taste bad to birds, so they avoid both the monarch and the viceroy because of the similar colors and markings. I learned something today.

So did I. Thanks for the post!

Reply Like this photo? 1