Monarch Butterfly Photos

Category Butterflies
These beautiful black and orange butterflies are possibly the best known North American species. This page contains Monarch butterfly photos.

Monarch Butterfly Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these Monarch Butterfly Photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I have been very lucky when it comes to getting close enough to the creatures that I spy in my backyard. I love watching the butterfly's so much. They all seem to have their own personalities too! This particular one was quite playful and didn't mind being photographed.

By myneurotica from Topeka, KS

Monarch Butterfly

Comment Like this photo? 15

I have a very ignored flower garden that has produced some beautiful lantana blooms and has drawn a large family of Monarch butterflies this early fall season here in North Central Louisiana. Yesterday there were four butterflies flittering around the garden, and I was able to snap about 36 photos of them. Here is one I want to share.

By Rita S.

Monarch Butterfly on Flower

Comment Like this photo? 14

Photo Description
This Monarch butterfly was in our very small yard, where she was laying her eggs, on the plant she landed on. She would fly around, come back, lay her eggs, then fly around again and again. She came back for about a week or so to lay her eggs. Then a marvelous thing happened, her babies hatched and ate all of the leaves off the plant. That plant being a tough plant lived and she came back after the leaves grew back and the cycle continued, as she laid more eggs. They hatched and the babies ate all the leaves. Once again, the plant survived and grew its leaves, but we never saw her again. As it got colder, we figured she moved to Mexico for the winter, but we do hope to see her again someday soon!

Photo Location
My very small front yard, in sunny, San Diego, California, zone 10.

Comment Like this photo? 2

This is a butterfly that I found on our front porch. He wasn't alive when I found him, so I put him in a paper bowl that I had. I took him to my children's elementary school, so they could all see it close up and enjoy all of its beautiful details.

By Kathy K.

Comment Like this photo? 62

Out among the flowers on a sunny day came this beautiful Monarch butterfly. He stayed awhile, adding his beautiful hues to the garden colors. The richness of the colors he exhibits is beyond description. Truly one of the radiant tones in the garden of nature.

By Bob35 from Santa Barbara, CA

Monarch Butterfly (Santa Barbara, CA)

Comment Like this photo? 5

Here is a view of the Butterfly worm I found. It was attached to the back of a Milkpod leaf. I brought it home and it ate the leaves, then attached itself upside down on the container. A couple of days later it had a green cocoon around it. For three days it hung there. The next thing I see is it is all black. Then it slowly slides out of the cocoon, and it is a BEAUTIFUL MONARCH BUTTERFLY!

I hope the pictures can explain the process better than I can.

By Mary from LeRoy, IL

Monarch Butterfly

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I came across this beautiful Monarch butterfly on an early morning walk this September. Intensely feeding on nectar, and pollinating the flower, he did not seem to notice me at all! Quietly, I leaned in closer and closer until I captured him on film. Then I left him unbothered and continued on.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

I was trying out a digital camera I bought at a garage sale a couple of summers ago and happened to get a close up picture of a monarch butterfly sitting on a butterfly weed plant in my garden.

Comment Like this photo? 5

A Monarch butterfly and honey bee feeding at my hummingbird feeder.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

A local gang congregating in my alley. Picture of butterlies.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

A male and female monarch butterfly released.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Monarch Butterfly Photos

Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following Monarch Butterfly Photos. Have something to add? Please share your solution!

We have to learn to enjoy life's little moments... Otherwise we'd all go insane!

By Christine from Manchester, CT

This page contains red admiral butterfly photos. Seeing a beautiful butterfly gracefully fluttering in the garden is a joyous experience.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This was my last day living at this house that I loved, it had a beautiful butterfly garden, and this gorgeous friendly Monarch let me snap away at her/him for 30 minutes. I was able to get some wonderful photo memories of my garden and also this delightful garden-friend who gave me such a wonderful good-bye gift!

By Mia

Another picture of a Monarch butterfly. There were two but I was unable to get a perfect picture of the two together. This picture is so beautiful with the Morning Glory trailing along. It's actually climbing up the Butterfly Bush. Notice the fine hairs on the Morning Glory vine.

By Donna

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

Answers:

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

A terrific shot! Well done! (10/08/2010)

By Anigma

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

I just viewed your breath-taking photo of the Monarch. It is beautiful! When I was a child, Monarchs were everywhere, but in the last several years, I rarely see them here in Mid-Michigan. I was so excited to see about a dozen of them this summer. Thank you for such a wonderful photo. (10/08/2010)

By Sandy_Kay316

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

That looks like a professional picture out of a nature magazine! Great shot! (10/10/2010)

By Beth

This photo came out perfect in every way. How lovely he/she is!

By Leigh

Answers:

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

I cannot believe it. The picture I took last week on my butterfly bush looks so similar. We are good photographers. I had a hard time because the wind was blowing. I love taking pictures of nature. Have fun with your camera. (09/07/2010)

By LITTLE SUZY

RE: Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

Hey, thanks a bunch for the compliments! I love taking photos, so I try to get out every day. Little Suzy. The photo YOU took looks as if it were taken in my own backyard. Hummingbirds apparently like the butterfly bushes too. Here is another photo. (09/09/2010)

By Lsdy Harper

RE: Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

I started growing milk weed in my city garden a couple of years ago and was able to get a picture of this Monarch taking a drink.

By Ida

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

Answers:

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

This is breathtaking! You should frame it so you can look at it everyday! (08/11/2010)

By PainterLee

I love butterflies and didn't want to miss an opportunity to get a shot of this beauty before it moved on to greener pastures, so to speak.

By Tina

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

Answers:

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

Your butterfly is gorgeous! It looks like a Swallowtail to me, rather than a Monarch. I'm eager for an expert to jump in and tell us for sure! (07/12/2010)

By straightace

Wildlife: Monarch Butterfly

Very pretty! (07/14/2010)

By Maricel

With one flower bed dedicated to enticing butterflies and birds to stop in for a visit I was delighted to be able to get these photos of this Monarch.

I was surprised to see a Monarch butterfly resting in my front yard at night. It was there for at least 5 hours that I kept checking.

A Monarch with it's wings open on the white flowers of the butterfly bush in the backyard.

I recently took my daughter to a butterfly exhibit at a local greenhouse. They charged a small admission, and this served as a fundraiser for a children's organization.

This is a picture of a butterfly (monarch?), that I took on my sunflowers.