Substitute for Cornstarch in the UK

Category Substitutions
Cornstarch
Certain products are unavailable in some countries. Similarly, a specific item may be know by different names from one country to another. This is a guide about substitute for cornstarch in the UK.

I was looking at a recipe for making homemade bath bombs. One of the ingredients was cornstarch. What is this? We have cornflour in the U.K is it the same? Many thanks.

Helen xx

By Helen from U.K

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

In the UK, cornflour is the same as US corn starch. In the US the corn flour is known as corn meal, which is a rough cut corn to use in baking and cooking.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I would like to hear the answer from someone who knows for sure.

The reason I'm asking is that a member suggested the use of Bird's Custard (which is made in UK). I read the Bird's Custard label. The listed ingredients were cornflour, salt, vanilla, color (annatto).

As one cannot make a custard with these ingredients, that is, with what we in the USA call corn flour, I'm assuming what is called cornflour in UK is what we in the USA call corn starch.

Can someone tell me from first hand experience whether my assumption is correct? And if it is correct, I have another question. What is that which we in the USA call corn starch, called in UK?

Answers

Best Answer

What we call cornstarch in the US is called cornflour in the UK.