Crepe Myrtle Leaves Turning Brown

I planted a crepe myrtle about 2 yrs ago. It is in full sun and has been doing well. Lately I have noticed the leaves are turning brown from the tips inward. I have looked for insects, but found none. What else could be causing this?

Jim from St. George, Utah

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Sometimes this happens simply because of change of season and I wouldn't worry if it's just a few of the leaves but my first thought is to check the soil for moisture. The soil may simply need a little extra water and possibly a tad bit of fertilizer.

Our crepe myrtles were planted about 10 years ago. 8 huge plants were healthy until last year. One plant's leaves started turning yellow/brown, a trunk at a time, until the whole plant turned yellow/brown. I assumed the plant was dead and chopped it down. The other 7 plants looked great.

Until this year, now another plant is turning yellow/brown. So far, it's just affecting 2 of the 12 little trunks coming up from the ground. The other plants, and all the other trunks on this plant, look healthy. We have never watered these plants. What is the problem?

September 2, 2011 Flag

I have a new crape myrtle and the leaves are turning brown at the tips.

By CLM from north west Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They need water.

Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthOctober 16, 2008
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Crepe Myrtle Not Blooming
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Pruning a Crepe Myrtle Tree
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:05:05 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.