Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

My 3 year old son recently found a permanent marker in our kitchen. To my surprise he had colored on our new, real wood table and hid his amazing master pieces under the place mats. I would love to get the marker off of the table with out taking off the varnish. I have tried hairspray and magic erasers with no luck. Please help!

By sskaufdog from Centerton, AR

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

I just found that my daughter about 2 hours ago had accidentally marked on our hard wood table! I used toothpaste with baking soda and in 2 minutes it was gone. I let the toothpaste set on it for about 10 seconds, then took a dry, clean rag and rubbed it in a circular motion. It did not totally come off the first time, but it did come off little by little and after the 3rd time it was gone! Hope this helps! I was so excited! :)

The toothpaste trick just rescued our white lacquered dressing table my daughter drew on with marker pen. Tried everything else to no availe but the toothpaste worked in seconds, amazing thank god I found this tip!!

Best Answer

To all: look no further, the easy solution is a bit of nail polish remover. Comes off in a second. Not too much will not harm the polish a bit.

Nail polish remover is often made of acetone and that will eat away the varnish. It is much too harsh to use on a table top.

Tried it it does not work

Took my varnish off right away

Do not use nail polish remover! My daughter spilled some on our finished wood table and it removed the finish down to the bare wood. Try the toothpaste and baking soda method--no damage to the finish of the table

worked perfectly and then I re-polished with lemon oil!!

Best Answer

Amazing! Got black sharpie on my brand new hardwood floor and toothpaste removed it easily! Thank you!

Best Answer

I used a Magic Eraser and it worked well.

My grandson wrote with permanent marker on my wall and I used hand sanitizer and it came right off. Maybe it will work for you.

I signed up just to inform you all that the mentadent toothpaste worked on my wood table that my son marked on w/ black Sharpie. It just happened about 1 hour ago. I let it sit for about 30 minutes. I wet an old tooth brush that I use for cleaning just a little bit. and scrubbed. It came off after just a few scrubbings. I'm very excited that my table looks like it did prior to him marking it

I just had a black permanent marker explode all over my counter and hard wood floor. Google brought me here, I tried the Mentadent suggestion, and it completely got rid of the ink. Thank you!!

My daughter got five or six different colors of Sharpie on the oak diningroom table. I tries dry erase, pink eraser, different cleaners, toothpaste, and a pencil eraser. Orange hand cleaner worked like a charm. I let it sit for 20 seconds and wiped it off with a paper towel. The ink had dried for a few days before I had found it.

My daughter used black permanent marker on our wood table we got from the in laws this last Christmas. Figured my husband was going to kill me, but I used Equate finger nail polish remover. The marker sat for about 10 minutes. Rub very gentle to not ruin the wood and comes off like magic.

Managed to get some on my desk at work (very fussy boss so panicked!) I used hand soap and a damp wad of toilet tissue, got the majority off can barely see it. Probably good in an emergency like mine when you don't have toothpaste at hand!

Ceramabryte works great and keeps your finish. Permanent marker came off in seconds.

Use toothpaste and baking soda

Try putting isopropyl alcohol on a magic eraser and rub. Then remove the rub spots with mayo.

You can use love's baby soft body spray/perfume to spray it, then just wipe it off with a towel. It works so well

I had hot pink Sharpie on my 2 month old dining room table! Good off (Goo gone) didn't work, magic eraser didn't work, WD40 didn't work, no way am I putting nail polish remover on anything new ever. Tried toothpaste. Crest 3D white didn't work, but Colgate Optic white platinum worked perfectly. My daughter can come out of her room now!

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureFebruary 11, 2010
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
Blue Jeans
Removing Permanent Marker on Jeans
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:57:38 AM on 10.0.2.167 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.