Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

My 3 year old son recently found a permanent marker in our kitchen. To my surprise he had colored on our new, real wood table and hid his amazing master pieces under the place mats. I would love to get the marker off of the table with out taking off the varnish. I have tried hairspray and magic erasers with no luck. Please help!

By sskaufdog from Centerton, AR

Best Answer

I just found that my daughter about 2 hours ago had accidentally marked on our hard wood table! I used toothpaste with baking soda and in 2 minutes it was gone. I let the toothpaste set on it for about 10 seconds, then took a dry, clean rag and rubbed it in a circular motion. It did not totally come off the first time, but it did come off little by little and after the 3rd time it was gone! Hope this helps! I was so excited! :)

The toothpaste trick just rescued our white lacquered dressing table my daughter drew on with marker pen. Tried everything else to no availe but the toothpaste worked in seconds, amazing thank god I found this tip!!

Best Answer

To all: look no further, the easy solution is a bit of nail polish remover. Comes off in a second. Not too much will not harm the polish a bit.

Nail polish remover is often made of acetone and that will eat away the varnish. It is much too harsh to use on a table top.

Tried it it does not work

Took my varnish off right away

Do not use nail polish remover! My daughter spilled some on our finished wood table and it removed the finish down to the bare wood. Try the toothpaste and baking soda method--no damage to the finish of the table

worked perfectly and then I re-polished with lemon oil!!

Best Answer

Amazing! Got black sharpie on my brand new hardwood floor and toothpaste removed it easily! Thank you!

Best Answer

I used a Magic Eraser and it worked well.

My grandson wrote with permanent marker on my wall and I used hand sanitizer and it came right off. Maybe it will work for you.

I signed up just to inform you all that the mentadent toothpaste worked on my wood table that my son marked on w/ black Sharpie. It just happened about 1 hour ago. I let it sit for about 30 minutes. I wet an old tooth brush that I use for cleaning just a little bit. and scrubbed. It came off after just a few scrubbings. I'm very excited that my table looks like it did prior to him marking it

I just had a black permanent marker explode all over my counter and hard wood floor. Google brought me here, I tried the Mentadent suggestion, and it completely got rid of the ink. Thank you!!

My daughter got five or six different colors of Sharpie on the oak diningroom table. I tries dry erase, pink eraser, different cleaners, toothpaste, and a pencil eraser. Orange hand cleaner worked like a charm. I let it sit for 20 seconds and wiped it off with a paper towel. The ink had dried for a few days before I had found it.

My daughter used black permanent marker on our wood table we got from the in laws this last Christmas. Figured my husband was going to kill me, but I used Equate finger nail polish remover. The marker sat for about 10 minutes. Rub very gentle to not ruin the wood and comes off like magic.

Managed to get some on my desk at work (very fussy boss so panicked!) I used hand soap and a damp wad of toilet tissue, got the majority off can barely see it. Probably good in an emergency like mine when you don't have toothpaste at hand!

Ceramabryte works great and keeps your finish. Permanent marker came off in seconds.

Use toothpaste and baking soda

Try putting isopropyl alcohol on a magic eraser and rub. Then remove the rub spots with mayo.

You can use love's baby soft body spray/perfume to spray it, then just wipe it off with a towel. It works so well

February 11, 2010 Flag

My son took a permanent marker and drew all over my wood table. Any suggestions on how to remove the ink? Thanks.

By dinglebarry from Chicago

Answers:

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

I have used the Mr. Clean Eraser sponge on some hard plastics before, but I don't know what it would do to the wood finish on the table. Hope you can get it off of the table! (05/08/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

I have had great luck with Amodex. It works on permanent markers (and more) on tons of surfaces. The key is not to wet the stain. Water sets the stain and Amodex doesn't work nearly as well. I bought my Amodex from an ebay seller. The last time I checked it was not yet for sale at Office Max. The website says you can buy it at Hobby Lobby and other locations.

P.S. I've used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on very small spots and I can't see any damage to the wood finish. (05/16/2009)

By dubbiemarie

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

Use the cheapest hairspray you can find, spray on marks and let sit till ink starts to run, then wipe off marks. You may want to test in an out of site area to make sure you do not ruin the finish. You might have to repeat a few times. (05/16/2009)

By treehugger

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

I just found that my daughter about 2 hours ago had accidentally marked on our hard wood table. I used toothpaste with baking soda and in 2 minutes it was gone. I let the toothpaste set on it for about 10 seconds, then took a dry, clean rag and rubbed it in a circular motion. It did not totally come off the first time, but it did come off little by little, and after the 3rd time it was gone! Hope this helps. I was so excited! :) (07/10/2009)

By MKfrPI

May 8, 2009 Flag

How can I remove permanent marker from a wooden table?

Dmsommer from Cleveland

Answers:

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

GooGone will work, too. (09/24/2008)

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

Forget all the scrubbing with everyone's personal toothpaste! Use a little rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth and dab over the marker spots. It will dissolve any permanent marker. Keep dabbing until the cloth or towel takes on the marker. Replace the towel as needed until the marker is gone. It should only take a few seconds at most. (09/25/2008)

By NY Mom

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

Was taking a nap, daughters woke me up and said, "Uh mom, Keira was coloring on gramma's comp desk". We came to this site. Used toothpaste and a toothbrush wet, and miraculously it all came off! Thanks! (09/29/2008)

By Keira's Gramma

Permanent Marker on a Wood Table

Be very wary of this advice. I tried the toothpaste trick and it ruined the finish on my table top. Sure, it removed the marker stain but made our matte finish shiny and left me in the dog house! (01/04/2009)

By Jon

March 7, 2005 Flag

Does anyone know a safe way to remove permanent black marker (sharpie) from a wooden dining room table? I have read that nail polish remover works but worry that it will destroy the finish on the table. Thanks!

sebmoy

Answers:
antibacterial hand gel 03/05/2005
Try antibacterial hand gel. Put it on stain, allow to sit for 5 min or so, then rub off with soft cloth. I've used this on all kinds of stains and surfaces with great results. It does not damage any surface that I've used it on.
By jeangnome46
Hairspray 05/02/2005
Hairspray will dissolve it instantly, then just wipe off. It did not damage finish on table but always try on inconspicuous place first.
By Glenn Lohndorf (Guest Post)
Permanent marker on dining room table. 05/26/2005
I used M30 Stain Remover (can get at Dollar General for $1!). I let it set for a while - the longer the better, and then wiped with a damp cloth.
By C Schryer (Guest Post)
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser 05/31/2005
I had black permanent marker on my oak, light colored, dining room table. I tried everything I could think of to get it off. The only thing that worked was Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. One swipe and it took the marker right off. Try it!
By Alicia (Guest Post)
Toothpaste and Baking 10/01/2005
I used toothpaste, whitening with baking soda if you want to know, when i got permanent marker on my laptop screen! (a very fragile surface) I used a q-tip and a tiny dab and lightly rub it in circles until it came clean. Worked perfectly and didn't damage my screen!
By Sam (Guest Post)
Toothpaste 10/24/2005
A black permanent marker exploded all over the linoleum kitchen floor, I used toothpaste and an old toothbrush and it worked great! Thanks!
By (Guest Post)
Permanent marker on dining room table. 11/23/2005
Wow unbelievable I love the internet and this site. Toothpaste removed black permanent marker from my new oak table. Thank you to all of you who posted.
By Willo (Guest Post)
Permanent marker on dining room table. 12/22/2005
Well I was looking for a way to get permanent marker of a classic car chrome bumper. My seven year old decided to color all over it. I didn't see anything for cars so I just tried the tooth paste. It worked wonders. You can't even tell he did it.
By Brianne (Guest Post)
Office White Board 02/07/2006
Excellent! Office white board was written on with a permanent marker. With Sensodyne toothpaste it became perfectly white again and the office smells nice and fresh as well!
By Paz
TOOTHPASTE OR HAIRSPRAY DOES NOT WORK! 02/22/2006
I used magic eraser on it and it took A LOT of hard scrubbing to get it off! People should not post things if they don't work!

(b)Editor's Note: Dining room table surfaces can all be different, so what works on one, may not on another. Also, the length of time the marker has been on the surface can make a difference.(/b)

By Becky (Guest Post)
Mr. Clean Eraser 03/15/2006
WOW, THANK YOU ALL!
I used toothpaste since I didn't have the Mr. Clean Eraser (which I will now go buy and keep in stock around here) and it worked! Not right away though, I scrubbed it with windex not knowing what to use first and that didn't work, went to internet and read this then tried toothpaste and scrubbed and it didn't look to be working so I left it on there for a few minutes, went back and scrubbed some more and it went away after letting it sit 2 more times.
But it's GONE! THANK YOU for SAVING MY BIG NEW NICE TABLE!
By Kristina (Guest Post)
Toothpaste Worked 03/28/2006
I wasn't sure this would work, but tried toothpaste on our $700 office desk that had been colored on by our 3 year old. It came right off with some gentle scrubbing. Thanks for the cleaning tip.
By melanie (Guest Post)
Permanent marker on dining room table. 03/28/2006
Mr. Clean eraser worked beautiful! Thank you, thank you!
By misspoodle (Guest Post)
Permanent marker on dining room table. 04/04/2006
Believe it or not.
The toothpaste worked on my $1000 LCD Monitor too.
By RG (Guest Post)
Permanent marker on LCD 04/07/2006
My wife traced an image w/ permanent sharpie on LCD. I quickly searched web for solution and came to this page. Toothpaste, rubbed gently on and off, can clean perm. marker off LCD!
Brilliant! Thanks for help!
By JB (Guest Post)
Toothpaste Worked 04/15/2006
My three year old marked our oak table with a permanent marker. I was so upset! I tried all kinds of cleaners, but none worked. I'm so thankful for the toothpaste suggestion. It worked great. I let it set for about 15 minutes then wiped it clean with a wet washcloth. Thanks!
By susan (Guest Post)
Toothpaste 04/20/2006
I can't believe it!!! Sharpie on our brand new kitchen table (actually our 2nd brand new table, after the first one came in damaged...) and I didn't have the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, so I got out some of the kids toothpaste and scrubbed it in - the marker is absolutely gone after 30 seconds! (it had only been on since this a.m.), but still - amazing! Thank you so much!
By amy (Guest Post)
Toothpaste Worked 04/30/2006
The toothpaste worked! My 3 year old marked on my oak table. I came to this site, put the toothpaste on the table, let it sit for about 3 minutes, scrubbed, and the mark was gone! Thanks!
By Olivia (Guest Post)
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser 05/02/2006
I was using a permanent marker to frame a black square within the frame (a cheap lazy way to do it) The frame was already painted metallic gold, I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it came off perfectly without removing the gold metallic paint, yay!
By (Guest Post)
Rubbing Alcohol 05/06/2006
If its safe for the surface (not sure what your finish is) plain old rubbing alcohol will take it out. Also takes it out of fabric (soak if possible, if not blot and dab until the cloth is clean). We have a LOT of permanent marker accidents in this house. LOTS. Works every time and I haven't had a problem yet.
By jamie sue (Guest Post)
Toothpaste 05/14/2006
My 6 year-old was making a mother's day card for his grandma on our new oak dining room table with a BLUE permanent marker and got it all over (my dumb idea to not put newspaper down!) I saw this posting, tried the toothpaste (Tom's of Maine toothpaste), let it set for 15 minutes, rubbed it gently with a scrubby, and VOILA! Table is beautiful again! I'm so glad I came to this site. Thanks a million!
By mayalk (Guest Post)

A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureFebruary 11, 2010
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
Blue Jeans
Removing Permanent Marker on Jeans
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄