Fried Macaroni Recipe

Years ago, my grandfather used to make a dish that he called "Fried Macaroni". All I can remember is that he used macaroni, wheat germ, and sugar. And it was fried, at least at the end of the recipe. Does anyone know of a recipe that sounds like this at all?

Dani from OH

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Wayne (Guest Post) 03/01/2009

You can bake the mac and cheese in a flat pan. When cool, cut into squares, dip each square in beaten egg, then bread crumbs and the deep fry. That is how I do it. Hope that helps. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By carol 4 81 03/01/2009

My mom used to make something similiar, I think.

After the macaroni was cooked, she put it in a frying pan with some oil, breadcrumbs and onions (and I guess whatever else you'd like) and fry it lightly till the breadcrumbs coated the macaroni.
It's really good!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Joan 14 122 03/01/2009

Fried Macaroni And Cheese
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Serves/Makes: 6 | Difficulty Level: 3 | Ready In: < 30 minutes

8 ounces medium or sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika (optional)
3 large fresh eggs (room temperature), beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon oil or bacon drippings

Grate cheese of choice and set aside. Cook 2 cups dry elbow macaroni to al dente stage according to directions. Drain well in colander. Place in a large bowl. Season with salt, black pepper and paprika (optional). In a medium bowl, beat eggs briskly with a wire whisk until light and fluffy and pale yellow. In a large skillet over low heat, heat oil and butter together. Quickly mix together macaroni, grated cheese and beaten eggs. Add mixture to skillet and stir and fry until brown and crispy. Serve immediately.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/re ... Fried_Macaroni_And_Cheese49195.shtml
Recipe ID: 4177
Don't forget to stop back at CDKitchen and write a review or upload a picture of this recipe!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Donna B. (Guest Post) 03/01/2009

The way my mother did Fried Macaroni is; cook macaroni drain then put in a skillet and after macaroni is hot pour some beaten egg over it and cook till egg is done. I still do left over macaroni this way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Anne (Guest Post) 03/01/2009

My mom used to do this: Fry some chopped onion until transparent in a good bit of butter. Toss in leftover elbow macaroni and then some breadcrumbs, salt & pepper. (Should be enough butter to sink in to the breadcrumbs.) Fry until heated well. Very good!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No