Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Prevent Soggy Crusts for Cream Pies

To prevent crust from becoming soggy with cream pie, sprinkle crust with powered sugar.

By

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Beth [25]05/01/2008

Also for those fillings that are cooked and poured into a baked crust, if you pour them into a glass dish to cool for 30 minutes on the counter, then pour them into the crust your shell will be less soggy.

By Emma Reed [3]04/30/2008

You're right. I was referring to pie crusts baked before a filling is added. When you said "cream pie," I assumed you meant something like chocolate cream, cocoanut cream, etc., where the crust is baked before the filling is added. Thanks for setting me straight.

By Carolyn C. Cooke [17]04/29/2008

This is in addition to my previous feedback: I was referring to pies that have baked filling. I believe auntieM39 was referring to those where you baked the crust completely and then added non-bake filling. Am I right? In any case, the sugar should be added before baking the crust. Correct me if I'm way off!

By Carolyn C. Cooke [17]04/29/2008

To reply to auntiem39, one would sprinkle with the sugar before baking. I believe the idea is to keep the crust from being so porous. Another way is to bake the crust (unfilled) about a third of the time called for in the recipe, then allow to cool completely before pouring in the filling. Check part-way through this final step to see if edge is too "done." If so, cover it with foil and continue baking.

By Emma Reed [3]04/29/2008

Do you sprinkle the powdered sugar before you bake the crust or after? If after it's baked, do you wait until it's completely cool?

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.