Prevent Soggy Crusts for Cream Pies

To prevent crust from becoming soggy with cream pie, sprinkle crust with powered sugar.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Do you sprinkle the powdered sugar before you bake the crust or after? If after it's baked, do you wait until it's completely cool?

To reply to auntiem39, one would sprinkle with the sugar before baking. I believe the idea is to keep the crust from being so porous. Another way is to bake the crust (unfilled) about a third of the time called for in the recipe, then allow to cool completely before pouring in the filling. Check part-way through this final step to see if edge is too "done." If so, cover it with foil and continue baking.

This is in addition to my previous feedback: I was referring to pies that have baked filling. I believe auntieM39 was referring to those where you baked the crust completely and then added non-bake filling. Am I right? In any case, the sugar should be added before baking the crust. Correct me if I'm way off!

You're right. I was referring to pie crusts baked before a filling is added. When you said "cream pie," I assumed you meant something like chocolate cream, cocoanut cream, etc., where the crust is baked before the filling is added. Thanks for setting me straight.

Also for those fillings that are cooked and poured into a baked crust, if you pour them into a glass dish to cool for 30 minutes on the counter, then pour them into the crust your shell will be less soggy.

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsApril 29, 2008
Pie Crusts for the Freezer
Making Pie Crusts for the Freezer
A piece of apple pie with crispy crust.
Preventing Soggy Pie Crust
Sandwich with a packed lunch.
Keeping Sandwiches From Getting Soggy
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 14, 2016 at 8:29:04 AM on 10.0.0.230 in 615 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.