Browsing: "Egg in the Hole" Recipes

Egg in Hole in Bread

Also known as "Egg in the Window". This is easy and delicious. I used it make this all the time at college. Kids love it too. It is easy to make and tough to mess up.

• 4 slices of bread
  • 4 eggs
  • Butter

Directions:

Using a small cookie cutter, cut a hole in each piece of bread. Then lightly butter both sides of the bread. Then place the bread in a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Once the bread has browned a little turn it over, then fill each hole with an egg. Once the egg has cooked halfway through, flip the bread. You can have your eggs runny or cook them all the way through. Also, apply a little butter to the holes that you cut out of the bread and cook those too. Tabasco or pepper to taste!

Note: Depending on the size of your frying pan you may have to cook two at a time.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Excellent! I made this today and its great. Thanks. Try a little melted cheese on the cutouts. It's good too. Roger

We call these peek a boo eggs:). Although not my favorite because I can't seem to get them to cook the whites solid leaves them slimy!:) Yuck!

Hi,

Sounds like your pan isn't hot enough. Heat the pan to medium-medium high. I don't precook the bread like in the instructions. I just put a pat of butter in the pan, put the bread with the hole cut out of the center in the pan, crack the egg into the hole in the bread and cook until the top of the yoke looks a little fogged over. Then turn and cook until done. Also I cook the little cut outs while cooking the eggs.

- Susan at ThriftyFun

My mother called these eggs in a nest. Try lightly buttering the browned bread again after cooking. Mmm.

My Irish friend calls this "Toad in the Hole". Whatever you call it it is yummy!

Our family always called them "egg toast". Still love them!

My kids loved these & we called them egg top hats. The kids are now 49 the eldest. LOL & the still love them.

bird in the nest and

in Texas, one eyed sailor

I still eat these every Friday night with hash browns and Ovaltine, yummie

Egg cooked in middle of bread slice.
"Egg in the Hole" Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastMay 18, 2004
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Hole in Drywall
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 9, 2016 at 2:17:36 PM on 10.0.0.159 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.