Fingernails Splitting

What can I do to prevent my nails from splitting and peeling? I've tried everything: gelatin capsules, calcium, Biotin, and rubber gloves. I need help!

By Ann C. from Quitman, TX

Best Answer

I had a lot of similar trouble. I bought Knox For Nails at Walgreens, and took it for several months. My nails recovered and got strong, and I haven't had to use it for several years now. It's the best thing I found. It is a powder you mix with water, and it tastes like Tang or Orange juice. It really works!

Best Answer

How are your calcium and vitamin D levels? Has your doctor ever checked them? When my calcium and vitamin D levels are too low, I have those issues. I hope you find something that helps and the cause of the problem.

Could be a thyroid issue. Notice your hair doing the same thing?

How aggressive are they at growing? Do you use polishes? Are your hands protected with gloves for dishes or house hold cleaning?

Are you a smoker? Around smokers? Do you eat well balanced diet? How about caffeine and pop, especially diet? All those have issues with the protein your nails and hair are trying to put out.

At 55, I have the hardest nails. Never bite the nails, that weakens them. Use scissors and proper file to care for them. Try to keep them short so they can grow stronger. I have to cut mine about every 10 days; they get really long. Do not put artificial nails, etc. on them. That destroys them.

Hope this helps.

I noticed when I use my nails as tools for scraping dried on food off the counter top or a plate before washing, they are split the next day. I try not to do that too much but when my kids play with my kitchen tools (those little plastic food scrapers) I turn to my nails.

Take Brewer's Yeast. Hair and nails grow faster and stronger. Also, when filing nails file in one direction to prevent splitting and breaking.