Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Heat Marks from Furniture

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Hot coffee mug on wood table.

You have just enjoyed a steaming cup of hot coffee. When you move the cup, to your dismay there is a heat mark on the table. This is a guide about removing heat marks from furniture.

Here are questions related to Removing Heat Marks from Furniture.

Question: White Spots and Worn Stain on Furniture

I have a wooden kitchen table that has a lacquer finish on it. How do I get white heat spots off? Also I have a solid wood bedroom suite. How do I fix the worn off parts of the stain?

By Smcallum

Most Recent Answer

By momangel76 (Guest Post)09/08/2008

I have a black painted dining table, I put something hot on it and it put a big white spot on it! What can I do to get it off?

Question: Hot Dish Left Burn Mark on Table

How can I remove a burn spot on my dining table, from placing a hot dish on it?

By Sherry

Question: Removing White Hear Marks from a Table

I tried the iron and steam treatment to remove white marks on my table and I don't know what happen it failed, and only left more bigger white marks. Help! Has anyone any ideas?

By Lynne

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]05/02/2013

The white marks are likely from water, so therefore, more white marks mean too much steam. Try another method. I know that my mother removed some water stains from a wooden tray for me, but unfortunately, I don't know what she did. Try googling for info.

Question: White Heat Ring on Furniture

How do you remove white ring marks from furniture left by placing a hot cup on the surface?

By Lindsay from Caldicot, Monmouthshire

Most Recent Answer

By Elina K.06/21/2012

I have had good luck masking dings on wood by rubbing a walnut on the surface and then buffing a bit. I tried this once on a water mark (with the white ring) and it worked pretty well. Of course, if you are talking about an antique or something else of potentially high value, I really cannot say that this would be a good answer... There may be a more suitable solution? Best of luck! :)

Question: White Marks on Wood Furniture

I bought a used cherry bureau with some areas of small splatter like marks on it. The finish is still shiny and bright; it almost looks like the spots are under the gloss. Any ideas on how to remedy this? I would hate to ruin the finish by using something to pumice it.

By Brie from Keene, NH

Question: Removing Heat Marks from Wood Furniture

How do I remove heat marks from an oak dining table?

By Beth S

Most Recent Answer

By Marty Dick [140]01/27/2014

Don't get the marks in the first place. Make yourself some mug rugs from quilting or a few layers of denim. The little woven pot holder thingies that little kids make will do it.

Question: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

How do you treat heat marks on stained wooden table?

By Max

Most Recent Answer

By Betty [104]01/20/2011

This is what I did once; think I read it somewhere. I sanded very lightly with fine grade sandpaper then used Old English Scratch Cover. Worked. I think I tried mayonnaise first and it didn't work.

Question: Heat Marks on Painted Furniture

I have a very beautifully painted black chest of drawers. It has white marks on it from a steam iron. The paint is matte. How can I remove the white mark?

By Marie from South Africa

Question: Removing a Steam Mark from Table

I have a white stain on my wood table from steam. How do I remove it?

By Retta from Knoxville, TN

Most Recent Answer

By Toni [3]09/24/2010

Combine vinegar and olive oil in equal parts to remove white spots left from moisture on wood. Apply with a clean soft cloth and work the vinegar/olive oil mixture into the wood in the direction of the grain to erase the white water spots. Good luck!

Question: Steam Marks on Wood Furniture

I used steam on a wood table to take out water marks. It worked wonderful but now I have stains from the steam. I've tried mayonnaise, toothpaste, baking soda, Old English, and wax. Any answers?

By Kathryn from WI

Most Recent Answer

By Hardware shop Rog04/30/2010

Steam iron marks on teak dining table were removed by laying a white t-shirt doubled over on the marks and then using the steam iron over the area using the steam function! I know it doesn't make sense but it worked. I don't know how or why!

Question: Removing White Heat Stains From Polished Wood

How do I remove white heat stains from polished wood?

Most Recent Answer

By Lee (Guest Post)12/09/2008

Cannot believe how well the iron trick worked. I started off with a cool iron over a piece of cloth and worked up in heat going in circular motions until it went away, suppose that was the cowards way. Top tip, saved me a fortune as I was going to call out a french polisher.

Solutions: Removing Heat Marks from Furniture

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

How do you remove white heat marks from furniture?

Nick from Jersey

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I mixed mayonnaise and cigarette ash, and left it on about an hour. When I wiped it away the white heat ring was gone too. (03/12/2008)

By I need help

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

Rub with cigarette ash. (03/13/2008)

By Kings Kid

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

It sounds crazy, but if you use a medium hot iron on a clean white linen tea towel in circular motions this will take out the white heat marks. I was hesitant to try it on my oak table, but figured it looked bad with the marks, so what do I have to lose. It took the marks out beautifully and now my table looks like new. (03/14/2008)

By grammakim

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I've used the mayo trick and the ash trick above both with great results. Leave mayo on overnight. (03/24/2008)

By artisticattorney

Archive: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

How do I get white heat rings out of furniture?

By Wendyann from Albion Park, NSW Australia

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

I have found the best way to get rid of the white rings from heat or moisture on furniture. I have tried, with no luck, using mayonnaise, cigarette ashes, toothpaste, hot iron and towels. What I have found that works is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Dampen the eraser rub gently with the grain of the wood and then polishing as usual.

I happen to like Armor All as a furniture polish, if it's not a bad white mark the Magic Eraser will removed it completely, if it solid white you may have to do it several times. It may leave a bit of a ghost, but that's still better than having a big white mark.

This was not a bad one, you can see on the right it's gone. Now that I know how to fix them nobody's making them. (06/09/2009)

By BABBIE

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

Archive: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

How can I get a heat spot out of furniture?

By Minnow from MN

Archive: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

How do I safely remove white heat marks from a coffee table?

By Helen from Scotland

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

We have a dark stained wood table with a beautiful painted edging. I used a white bath towel and iron between medium and high. Didn't work until I switched to steam. Then it worked amazingly well. We had come to the conclusion we'd have to get a tablecloth to hide the hideous stain. Now it looks great! (06/21/2010)

By Jenns4x4pu

RE: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

Try a small amount of mayonnaise with a soft cloth, rub with grain. It worked on my sewing machine cabinet. Hope it works for you. (06/21/2010)

By Great Granny Vi

Archive: Heat Marks on Wood Furniture

How do I repair a white ring left from a hot cup being set on wood furniture?

By Sondra from NC