Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Separating Photos That are Stuck Together

0 0EmailFollow
Photos That are Stuck Together

Moisture can wreak havoc and destroy your photos. This guide is about separating photos that are stuck together.

Here are questions related to Separating Photos That are Stuck Together.

Question: Photos Stuck Together

How do I save my photos, they are all stuck together?

By Amanda from Pittsburgh, PA

Most Recent Answer

By beegee5205/15/2015

Just so others don't spend hours agonizing over whether immersing in water will work for newer, digital camera photo prints (yes, sometimes we DO still get prints made!), the answer is yes. At least with the type of digital prints you get from places such as Walgreens. I haven't tried any created on a home printer, on glossy or matte photo paper. I have no idea if that would work the same way or not.

After a couple of days of internet research, none of which was helpful in definitively concluding that the information applied to anything other than old, darkroom-type, developer-and-fixer type photos created from negatives, I tried what I considered to be less hazardous methods, like freezing (Did NOT work. I ended up with pieces of the backs of pictures stuck to the fronts of other pictures).

Then I finally decided I had nothing to lose since the photos were not useable as they were. I went ahead and put them in water (Not distilled by the way, as some sources said. Totally unnecessary). Yes, they do curl somewhat. I'm assuming that isn't an issue because remembering back to my college photography class darkroom days, curled photos do flatten.

Question: Photos Stuck Together

I would like to know if anyone knows a way I can separate my photos, they are stuck together, side by side.

By Marcus

Most Recent Answer

By beegee5205/15/2015

Just so others don't spend hours agonizing over whether immersing in water will work for newer, digital camera photo prints (YES, sometimes we DO still get prints made!), the answer is YES. At least with the type of digital prints you get from places such as Walgreens. I haven't tried any created on a home printer, on glossy or matte photo paper. I have no idea if that would work the same way or not. After a couple of days of internet research, NONE of which was helpful in definitively concluding that the information applied to anything other than old, darkroom-type, developer-and-fixer type photos created from negatives, I tried what I considered to be less hazardous methods, like freezing (Did NOT work. I ended up with pieces of the backs of pictures stuck to the fronts of other pictures.) then I finally decided I had nothing to lose since the photos were not useable as they were. I went ahead and put them in water. (Not distilled by the way, as some sources said. Totally unnecessary.) Yes, they do curl somewhat. I'm assuming that isn't an issue because remembering back to my college photography class darkroom days, curled photos do flatten.

Solutions: Separating Photos That are Stuck Together

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Photos Stuck Together

I have 2 photos stuck together. How do I get them unstuck? I've tried freezing them and that didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheryl from Missouri

RE: Pictures left in rain and stuck together!

I did hear about if you put them in the freeze for a while. I have never tried it but it is worth a try. Good Luck (09/08/2005)

By Joyce wis

Soak them in Un-Do (aka: the scrapper's solution"). It is usually found anywhere scrapbook supplies are found. Get the largest bottle they sell and start by drizzling it over the pics, in between them. It won't leave a film... try it, you have nothing to lose! (09/09/2005)

By irishkilbride

RE: Photos Stuck Together

I had the same problem then I came across this website. I had nice vacation photos all stuck together, and after ripping the first few I needed to find a solution. This is what I did and it worked.

I put the photos stuck together in the sink and turned the water on hot. After the water was nice and warm I soaked them in the water for about 5 minutes. I went back and just pulled the pictures apart under water. They curl, but don't stick them together again, or in anything else. I put mine in a book to flatten them and then the pages transfered on the pictures. I had to repeat, but let them dry curled or not, and separately. Once they are dry (completely), you can put them under a heavy surface, such as a heavy book, bricks etc. to regain their shape. (02/25/2006)

By Ashleigh

RE: Photos Stuck Together

I just read an idea yesterday in a book published by readers digest, they suggest using dental floss. If i remember correctly, you just slip it in any openings between the pictures as gentle as possible. I found the book by the most recent magazines, the title was something like uses for ordinary products. (03/15/2006)

By Kersti

Archive: Photos Stuck Together

How can I separate pictures stuck together without damaging them?

Yvette from Tyler, Texas

RE: Photos Stuck Together

Yvette. Be frugal! Don't use any chemical treatment whatsoever; simply soak your photos in TEPID not hot water and they should float apart after a little while - try not to use force. The next problem you will find is how to get the curl out? The best way I know is to gently iron them, face down on your ironing board, again don't use too much heat just enough to dry them out, then lay them on a clean flat surface under some weight. Good luck. (08/15/2006)

By Alan24

Archive: Photos Stuck Together

How do you separate pictures that were stuck together by something?

Debra from Crescent City, FL

RE: Photos Stuck Together

I have never tried this but read somewhere steaming will do the trick. Place a pot of water on the stove and when it starts to boil hold the photos over the boiling water. The steam from the boiling water is supposed to unstick photos. Just be careful you don't steam your fingers. (04/06/2007)

By

RE: Photos Stuck Together

I read somewhere you could use a hair dryer. (04/09/2007)

By Sue

RE: Photos Stuck Together

Don't use anything but a product called Undo. It will not at all harm the photo in any way shape or form. It is a must have. You can get it at any craft store, Walmart and I have even seen it at Lowes. Hope this helps. Janette (08/24/2007)

By ashleybunkin

Archive: Photos Stuck Together

I have two photos that were stuck together when they were in a fire. How do I get these unstuck saving the image on the second picture?

Annette from Los Angeles, CA

RE: Photos Stuck Together

I've had great luck with the freezer and also a blow dryer. Two completely different temperatures. Why? I don't know. I just wanted to save the pictures. The freezer was easier and I didn't have to worry about accidentally "browning" the photos. When you do get them apart, spray them with Krylon(R) Acid Free or similar product to protect them from acid destruction. (03/24/2008)

By artisticattorney

RE: Photos Stuck Together

Just stuck all my (friends) photos in lukewarm water. All came out a treat. Thanks for advice. (04/19/2008)

By Sarah from UK

Archive: Photos Stuck Together

Please help me get my photos un-stuck. I have them soaking in water right now, they are not separating very nicely.

By Laura from Eagle Mountain, UT

RE: Photos Stuck Together

I had old photos stuck together and also stuck in the old photo albums, etc. I used my hair dryer and they came apart quickly. (05/18/2010)

By T&T Grandma

RE: Photos Stuck Together

Put them in the freezer for a couple of hours. Should come apart. Read this in another tip web. Hope it works. (05/18/2010)

By Pat437