Separating Dishes that are Stuck Together

If you have drinking glasses that are stuck within each other, this trick will release them quickly. Fill the top glass with some ice, then dip the bottom glass in some hot water, or run hot water around it.

Gently twist and they will come apart. I did this several times after going through old drinking glass sets I'd put in storage to donate.

More Solutions

I had 2 pans that were stuck together. After trying everything I've heard of, I finally sprayed WD-40 into the sides of bottom pan, put them in freezer over-night, dropped them on concrete this morning, and VOILA!

20 Questions

I have two glass casserole dish lids that are stuck together like glue on paper. I have tried soaking them in hot and cold water, banging them apart, dish soap, oil, and a knife to try and separate the two. I have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone have the magic solution to this odd and inconvenient problem?

Nita from Michigan

Answers

By rosa (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Have you tried cooking oil to try to get them apart ? or the bakeing spray , like pam ,ect . maybe if you spray the lids with that in the area where they are stuck together you can work the apart .

Best Answer

Put ice in the top one, that will make it contract. When it gets good and cold, try separating them.

Best Answer

Cold will contract (shrink) glass and heat will cause it to expand. It isn't visible, but it is enough to help get stuck glass items apart.

Cool the inner lid (ice sound like a great idea) and warm the outer one at the same time. This should help. It is the preferred method for separating 2 glasses stuck together, there's no reason it can't work for lids.

Denise

Answer this Question

I was warming up some food in a large bowl by putting water in a glass pot and putting the plastic bow on top. Now the bowl is stuck inside my glass pot and I can't remove it. There is still a small amount of water in the pot but the bowl is embedded.

Staffney from Baltimore, MD

Answers

By Sharon (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I had something similar happen with 2 pyrex baking dishes. I tried the hot/cold water method to no avail. Finally, on a whim, I sprayed both dishes with WD-40 and they slid apart like a charm.

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hot water expands fibres in certain materials. You need to shrink them instead. Try popping it in the fridge for a while or fill with icy cold water, and try separating them again.

Answer this Question

I have a 9 inch cake bottom stuck a little more than halfway in another 9 inch cake pan, it's jammed really good. Any suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

This usually works:
If you have really hot tap water you can fill your sink about half way but if it is not really hot water then you'll need to heat water to almost boiling - but - be very careful as even a slight accident could be bad.
Take out a couple of ice cube trays so they'll be handy when you need them.
Place pots in the hot water and drop the ice cubes in the top over the stuck pan.
Have a mitten handy as you may have to hold the pots in the hot water as they may tip and pour out your ice cubes.
Also have a flat table knife handy just in case you need to give the inside pan a little nudge to help release it.
Try to leave it soak for a few minutes but this usually works quickly.

You may have to slip the edge of the table knife down the side to gently work them apart.

Best Answer

Hot water is one way to get the pans unstuck and so is trying to use or force the one-pan further down on one side and this can usually crack it just enough that you can get it out. I have even used very hot water and a butter knife to slide down the pan to get them out. I have also used a small wooden hammer to tape the one die of the pan to make it go deeper inside and this will force the other side up enough that you can get a butter knife in there and get it out.

Answer this Question

I stuck my steel plate in the aluminium vessel, now how do I remove it?

By Shinu

Answers

Best Answer

Put ice on the steel plate; heat the outer vessel in hot running water. Outer aluminum vessel should expand enough to let you remove the cold steel plate.

Answer this Question

I have a steel box lid stuck into another steel box tightly. I tried different ways, but have not been successful.

Can someone help me with how to separate these two without any damage to both box and lid?

Answers

Best Answer

You can try putting ice in the smaller box and running very hot water over the outside of the larger box at the same time. May need several tries to have the large one expand and the small one shrink at the same time.

Answer this Question

This green lid from a jug of orange juice fell into the cup with the orange juice in it. Somehow it landed perfectly to lodge in there and will not budge. When I tipped it upside down not a drop drips out. I broke another glass try to sit it upside down in the glass to see if gravity would eventually take over and drop the lid and juice into the glass.

But all it did was cause difficulty separating it from the glass and it cracked. Anyone have any ideas? Typically I would just toss it to avoid the hassle, but my mom bought me these glasses before she passed away, so it's sentimental to me.

Any advice on how to remove a dish that fell inside an aluminum pot? Would freezing or just cooling both cause them to shrink and separate?

Thanks

Mike

Answers

Try sitting the pot in hot water,whilst putting cold water in the dish inside.After a few minutes, the outside pot should have expanded enough to release it - tip upsidedown quickly!!

You could also try spreading some dishwashing liquid around the edge of the dish then turn it over and hopefully it will slide out.

By Mike (Guest Post)

Thx for your fast response with advice. I'll try it !

By D (Guest Post)

I recommend ice in the dish inside the pot and a hot water bath on the outside surface. Heat expands and ice (cold) contracts. good luck

By dsbaby14 (Guest Post)

You don't say if the dish moves, try taking a butter knife and sliding it along the edge of the dish and the wall of the pot, it should let you get the knife down in side and flip the dish so you can grab it.

Try flipping the pot upside down for a while. Just make sure there is something soft for the dish to land on. If that doesn't work, try a heating pad over the pan, still turned over. Heat expands, cold shrinks.

I have a 9" springform pan bottom that got wedged down into my round 9" Wilton cake pan. Since they're the same size the springform pan bottom fell to the bottom of the cake pan and is so tightly wedged in I cannot get it out. I have tried putting the bottom in hot water and ice in the top...nope. I tried freezing them...nope.

They are so snug on the bottom I can't get water under the springform pan and I don't think there's any room under it anyway to try and steam it off. There is absolutely no wiggle room between the two. I don't want to ruin either pan, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to sacrifice one to save the other. Any ideas?

These steel pen stands are stuck in each other. How do I separate them?

A steel vessel is stuck inside of a plastic vessel. Please help me how to separate them.

I absolutely can not get 2 of my Corelle 28 oz. bowls unstuck. I bought them and thought I could get them unstuck, but I can't. Can you help?

Thanks.

I left my steaming hot metal pot cover (lid) on my glass top and it got stuck. How do I separate them?

By Coco

How do I remove an aluminum saucepan stuck in a china casserole dish?

By VLF

I have a Bella Rocket blender. The hard plastic lid is stuck in the bullet hard plastic lined blender portion. I can not remove it. I tried boiling water and have tried using a small putty knife. I don't know if I can put it into the freezer as the motor portion is in the bottom.

By June D

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Repair Other DishesJune 29, 2013
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf90625279.tip.html