Finding Replacement Gaskets for Glass Canister

Category Dishes
It can be difficult to find the right sized gasket for an older glass container. This guide is about finding replacement gaskets for glass canister.

I bought a glass cookie jar that sits on it's side with a wooden lid. The lid has no gasket to fit tight to the jar. Does anyone know where I could get one? I have tried Google and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Would silicone work on the lid to make a tight fit? I'm hoping someone can help me, I really like the jar. Thanks so much.

Joyce from Coffeyville, Kansas

Answers

Best Answer

I have two things to suggest. The first is a large, thick rubber band wrapped around the area of the lid that would normally be covered by a gasket. The second is to run a thick band of hot glue in that area to mimick a gasket.

Best Answer

I would use silicone caulk, but I would put it between two sheets of waxed paper or something. Then I would trim it to fit with scissors. Try looking on eBay first, because there are still manufacturers of those gaskets making them.

Best Answer

I had a thought of this today after reading this post a couple days ago: Wrap Saran wrap or other similar plastic wrap tightly around the inner part of the lid where the seal is missing.

.
Tear off a piece long enough to go around that part of the jar at least one time & twist it starting at a corner very tightly until it is all twisted & secure it. Which ever of the tips by readers work for you, it would be interesting to know!

I can't figure out how to measure for the replacements. The inner opening of the jar not the lid is 3 1/4" diameter approximately. The replacements I see say they are 2 3/4" inner diameter.

By Amy

Answers

Best Answer

Take your jar and go to a automotive seals and bearing supply,and they will fit them on the spot, but they're black rubber .or look up polyeurathane belting on nt select right use and diameter buy by the length and join perfect seals using their instructions easy peasy

I need replacement gaskets for my glass canisters. The gaskets measure 3 5/8" inside diameter
. Do you know where I can get these?

By Joyce H

Answers

If you get any answers would you be kind enough to post on here, thank you (I need some, too).

I ordered mine from Fantes Kitchen Wares-I found them online about 2 years ago. The shipment arrived fast and I was very satisfied with the rubber gaskets.

looking for a canister gasket - inside diameter 3 5/8"

Ifound some at bed bath and beyonds online. a set of 6 was 2.99

I am looking for replacement rubber seals for these Goodwood brand cookie jars from the 1980s.

Answers

If you can't find their website, you may have to use those tough purple veggie rubber bands. I hope that helps. PBP

If you cannot find the actual gaskets, try using elastic headbands, which are about1/2inch wide, and can be found in the hair care section. You could cut it to length, and glue the cut ends together. Perhaps you may find a size that will fit without cutting. I bought a pack of these to use to hold the plastic garbage bags in my kitchen trash and they work well.

take the lid, go to an auto parts store and have them fit it with a large plump "O" ring... All fixed. Ov course wash the "O" ring thouroughly.

Ken

I'm looking for seals for my glass canisters. I need 3 1/2 inch in size. Where can I find some?

By Tonya Y from Joshua, TX

Answers

The best places would be thrift stores or garage sales. Sometimes you find more that you expect for very little money.

I found several listings at Amazon.com when I Googled "gaskets for glass canisters". Good luck!

My Ace Hardware reliably has them! If not there, then Sur la Table, but they're bound to be more expensive there.

I am looking for replacement gaskets for a jar that has a 5" outer ring with 4" inner ring and also a 7 1/2" outer ring with 6 1/2" inner ring.

Answers

You can go to any hardware or hobby store. Bring your gasket with you (or the jar lid) to make sure it's the right fit.

I have a glass cookie jar with a glass lid. There is no gasket or other way to "seal" the lid and keep the cookies fresher. I need a rubber/silicone gasket 5-1/2" interior size.

By Jo C

Answers

Could you wrap a wide large rubber band or several narrow ones around either the lid or the top of the jar to act as a seal?

Hey Joe!

I have that same 5.5 casket situation! Did you ever find a match? We love the Glass and Wood!

Would love it if during the year you find some resource!

I am trying to figure out the proper size replacement rubber seal for a 1/4L jar? I just bought a used jar and the rubber seal is basically dried out. Thank you in advance.

Answers

If you kept it just make a template of it or keep it intact in a zip lock baggie and take it to the store. Easy Peasy!!

I have several drug store style apothecary jars of various sizes and differing lid sizes as well. I would love to use them as canisters, but cannot find the proper gaskets for them. One of them had the black "tab". Any suggestions, besides rubber bands would help.

Answers

A very easy online search for "glass jar gaskets" produced many replies. You can try a search yourself or Amazon has many sources for various gasket sizes.

Where can I get a clear, silicone gasket for a 5 inch food canister? I can find the canister and the gasket, but I just need the gasket.

By Paul

Answers

I live in the Pacific Northwest and have seen gaskets only at McLendons Hardware. A web search turned up many suppliers.

It is flat, 3.5" inside, 5" outside. Anyone know where I can find a kitchen canister gasket like that?

By Donald

I purchased an extra large Meloni jar minus the seal for air tightness. Any idea where this can be purchased?

By Cheryl N

The gasket measures 2 7/8" inside and 3 7/8" outside with a small lift tab. How or where can I get a replacement?

By Connie R

I am looking for a replacement 3.5 inch round glass jar lid with gasket only for my ice tea glass jar dispenser with spigot. I measured the round inner jar top dimensions. I live in NYC or website locations would also be good. Thank You!

By Owen