Finding Replacement Parts for Jars and Canisters?

Category Dishes
It can be difficult to find the right sized gasket or closure for an older glass container or cookie jar. Here are tips for ordering a replacement for a vintage or family treasure.

I have a 1980s Garwood cookie jar with a wooden lid and the gasket has worn out. I hope you can help me find a replacement.

Answers

Best Answer

If you measure the gasket size you need, you may be able to find it at your local hardware store, or online like Walmart / Amazon, so forth.

Best Answer

I always say "let's make sure it's in park". Try a wide rubber band. If that doesn't work then off to plan B!!

Best Answer

If all else fails, I would try an auto parts store.

I bought a glass cookie jar that sits on it's side with a wooden lid. The lid has no gasket to fit tight to the jar. Does anyone know where I could get one? I have tried Google and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Would silicone work on the lid to make a tight fit? I'm hoping someone can help me, I really like the jar. Thanks so much.

Joyce from Coffeyville, Kansas

Answers

Best Answer

I have two things to suggest. The first is a large, thick rubber band wrapped around the area of the lid that would normally be covered by a gasket. The second is to run a thick band of hot glue in that area to mimick a gasket.

Best Answer

I would use silicone caulk, but I would put it between two sheets of waxed paper or something. Then I would trim it to fit with scissors. Try looking on eBay first, because there are still manufacturers of those gaskets making them.

Best Answer

I had a thought of this today after reading this post a couple days ago: Wrap Saran wrap or other similar plastic wrap tightly around the inner part of the lid where the seal is missing.

.
Tear off a piece long enough to go around that part of the jar at least one time & twist it starting at a corner very tightly until it is all twisted & secure it. Which ever of the tips by readers work for you, it would be interesting to know!

Where can I find seals for glass canisters?

Answers

Best Answer

You do not state the size but since yours is not a 'flat' seal you may have difficulty finding a fit.

I would suggest you take the gasket (and jar if possible) to an Ace or True Value Hardware store and ask them to help you find one.
These stores have more items like this than most other stores and usually very friendly working people.
If there is a brand name on your canister you might try looking them up and send a request with pictures and sizes of your canister.
Otherwise you can try asking on some of these sites but I would not be too hopeful..

www.kitchenworksinc.com/search.aspx?keyword=gaskets

www.fantes.com/

This site has replacement lids but they do not sell gaskets/seals.

www.anchorhocking.com/.../replacement-lids.html

Best Answer

This may sound odd, but try taking your gasket to a vacuum cleaner repair place if you have one. We have two by us and they carry a wide variety of gaskets and perhaps one can be used for your needs.

Post back with an update!

Best Answer

I've always found what I needed at Alco Ferm Brew they sell a wide variety of replacement gaskets for jars. I would check them out here is the link alcofermbrew.com/.../Jar-Rubber-Seal-Rings-10pcs-White...

I have a Seyfert's butter pretzel glass jar with a broken glass lid. Do you know where I can get a replacement? The lid has the round glass pull handle on top. The jar measures 5.600" on the inside of flared opening.

Answers

Best Answer

There are sites that sell replacement lids for apothecary jars:

www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-att...

You would have to be very careful with the measurements. If you would resell the piece you would need to disclose the replacement.

You could find glass jar groups on Facebook or that pretzel group may have a group of collectors and you may find someone who broke the jar and has the lid. Can't hurt to ask!!

Happy hunting!!!

I can't figure out how to measure for the replacements. The inner opening of the jar not the lid is 3 1/4" diameter approximately. The replacements I see say they are 2 3/4" inner diameter.

By Amy

Answers

Best Answer

Take your jar and go to a automotive seals and bearing supply,and they will fit them on the spot, but they're black rubber .or look up polyeurathane belting on nt select right use and diameter buy by the length and join perfect seals using their instructions easy peasy

Some of the metal closures are missing from my Fidenza storage jars. Where can I find replacement parts?

Answers

Best Answer

The price of replacements can be quite pricey. You may want to check out Fidenza Storage Jars for sale on eBay to see which would be a better option. www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=Fidenza+storage+jars...

I am looking for replacement rubber seals for these Goodwood brand cookie jars from the 1980s.

I'm looking for gaskets for Anchor Hocking gallon cracker jars.

I need replacement gaskets for my glass canisters. The gaskets measure 3 5/8" inside diameter
. Do you know where I can get these?

By Joyce H

Answers

If you get any answers would you be kind enough to post on here, thank you (I need some, too).

I ordered mine from Fantes Kitchen Wares-I found them online about 2 years ago. The shipment arrived fast and I was very satisfied with the rubber gaskets.

Where can I find a gasket or seal for a 2 gallon wide-mouth (8 or 8.5 inch diameter) glass jar?

Toronto, Canada

I am looking for replacement gaskets for my canisters. The size is 5 od x 3 id. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have canisters from Anchor Hocking; the kind that you used to get nuts in at Christmas. The seal is a cap. The inside diameter is approximately 3.5 in. I have tried to contact them, but was on hold forever. Any ideas?

I'm looking for seals for my glass canisters. I need 3 1/2 inch in size. Where can I find some?

By Tonya Y from Joshua, TX

Answers

The best places would be thrift stores or garage sales. Sometimes you find more that you expect for very little money.

I found several listings at Amazon.com when I Googled "gaskets for glass canisters". Good luck!

My Ace Hardware reliably has them! If not there, then Sur la Table, but they're bound to be more expensive there.

I was referred to this site from CS at Anchor Hocking for suggestions on where to find gaskets for Anchor Hocking's Heritage Hill 2 gallon, 1 gallon, and 3 quart storage jars, preferably not red.

I'm looking for a canister seal ring. Apparently, it is unusual in the replacement world in that the ring fits as a band around a part of the lid which inserts itself into the canister. I found lots that are horizontally flat or ones which fit like a washer into the lid threads. Mine is vertically flat with a flange (profile is a sideways "T" [-- shape). Lots of canisters are made with this detail. I just can't find a replacement. The size needed is 89mm ID, 95mm OD.

I am looking for replacement gaskets for a jar that has a 5" outer ring with 4" inner ring and also a 7 1/2" outer ring with 6 1/2" inner ring.

Load More

Home and Garden Repair Other DishesMarch 24, 2013
🐛
🌻
📓
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-Replacement-Gaskets-for-Glass-Canister.html