Gasket For Lidded Cookie Jar

I bought a glass cookie jar that sits on it's side with a wooden lid. The lid has no gasket to fit tight to the jar. Does anyone know where I could get one? I have tried Google and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. Would silicone work on the lid to make a tight fit? I'm hoping someone can help me, I really like the jar. Thanks so much.

Joyce from Coffeyville, Kansas

Best Answer

I have two things to suggest. The first is a large, thick rubber band wrapped around the area of the lid that would normally be covered by a gasket. The second is to run a thick band of hot glue in that area to mimick a gasket.

Best Answer

I would use silicone caulk, but I would put it between two sheets of waxed paper or something. Then I would trim it to fit with scissors. Try looking on eBay first, because there are still manufacturers of those gaskets making them.

Best Answer

I had a thought of this today after reading this post a couple days ago: Wrap Saran wrap or other similar plastic wrap tightly around the inner part of the lid where the seal is missing.
.
Tear off a piece long enough to go around that part of the jar at least one time & twist it starting at a corner very tightly until it is all twisted & secure it. Which ever of the tips by readers work for you, it would be interesting to know!

The name of the company that sells these gaskets is Fantes Kitchen Ware. You get 10 in the package for less than $10.00. Go online and look up this company and you will find the gaskets along with a lot of other cool things.

I ordered them after hunting all over the internet for a company that sells them and they arrived at my house in a few days.

Hey I like both of those ideas. the rubber band, and the hot glue. I also have a couple of containers that have lost the rubber piece to make it more sealed tighter. Thanks for the suggestions.

How about plumber's tape? (It's a white, stretchy tape that I used once to tighten up a salt shaker's lid.)

I found some gaskets to fit my canisters on rubberagemfg.com I have not ordered them yet so I do not know how good their service is.

Anonymous

I would suggest going to a plumbing supply store..

they have dozens and dozens of rubber or silicone gaskets. some of them even have the little lip on one side to put near the locking mechanism