Frugal Outdoor Furniture

Metal

You can reclaim old, drab outdoor furniture with a coat of outdoor paint. Much easier than buying new outdoor furniture. If you don't have any of your own, keep an eye open at garage sales. As long as the furniture is structurally sound you can use a wirebrush to remove the rust, apply a coat of outdoor paint and have a like-new piece of furniture in no time at all.

Wood

You can reclaim your old wood outdoor furniture with a coat or two of outdoor stain. Tight up all the screws and bolts. If the furniture was put together with staples and is starting to fall apart you can add re-inforcing nails or screws to make it sturdy again. Just remember to re-stain your furniture every few years and the furniture will last for a long time. And again, keep you eyes open at garage sales. Many times, when outdoor furniture gets old, people replace it rather than fix it up.

Do you have any tips or success stories about frugal outdoor furniture?

Park benches- I have some of those seats that are like park benches. After a few years, the wood was pretty sad looking. After a close look, I found wood slats are actually very easy to replace. I got the strips at home depot. (they will cut to length and even drill for a fee but it's really easy if you have a saw and drill) Anyway. Just change over the slats and "Thompson's Oil Seal". Use stained or plain, but first year, a couple of coats. After that, just a coat every year or two and the slats I did about 10 yrs ago are still looking brand new. I confess, I've let them go a couple of years and they are outside all the time in NE. If you live by the shore, I'd suggest paying the extra for pressure treated. It's not toxic anymore and the salt air wont bother them. Also, you wouldn't have to bother with the Thompsons either.

years ago i saw instructions for making outdoor rocking chairs from cable spools. i can't remember how it worked so if anyone knows, please send me the instructions!

velvt_wi(at)yahoo(dot)com

check out www.hgtv.com

they usually have a lot of great ideas there

Outdoor Furniture
Saving Money on Outdoor Furniture
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingOctober 2, 2004
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Squirrel Outside
Squirrels Damaging Outdoor Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Outdoor wicker style chairs with fabric covered seat cushions.
Recovering Outdoor Furniture Cushions
🎄