Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

When do you start litter training kittens?

My cat had kittens and I need to know at what age do you start litter training an feeding regular food?

Darlene from PA

By TJ (Guest Post)10/14/2008

Help! I'm trying to get my new kitten to use the litter box, but she keeps eating the litter! What should I do?

By (Guest Post)08/24/2008

Informative site. Will use it more!
Thanks

By Danielle (Guest Post)09/02/2007

I think that using the card board top of the office paper box is a great idea. Thanks!

By Bev (Guest Post)09/23/2006

Our kitten, adopted from Humane Society is about 5 weeks old. We put a litter box in separate room, but she does not seem to have any idea what to do with it. Altho I put her in it frequently and hold her front paws to do some digging.

She also eats very little, and when she does have a bowel movement, usually very loose, she does it in her bed. I have removed the bed.

What to do? No other cats.

Editor's Note: That's very young to be released from the animal shelter. Usually they will not release them until they are at the least 6 weeks old.

Here's a great link about caring for kittens:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com/pooping_and_peeing.html

Susan

By phyllis mcelroy [2]09/13/2006

YOU CAN START AS SOON AS THEY START VENTURING AWAY FROM MOMMA AND THIER SLEEPING QUARTERS. I'VE PLACED LITTER IN A CARDBOARD TOP OFF AN OFFICE PAPER BOX, BUT YOU COULD CUT ONE DOWN TO ABOUT 2" HIGH. NOT TO HIGH OR THEY WON'T VENTURE IN. THEY WILL TEACH THIERSELVES. HAVE FUN!!!

By Beth [25]09/13/2006

Mama cat will teach her kittens how to use a litter SO LONG AS THERE IS ONE AVAILABLE! I got a kitten once where the mother's litter box was in a basement and her kittens were on the second floor. She wasn't able to teach her kittens proper hygiene and I eventually had to find the kitten another home.

By Carol in pa (Guest Post)09/11/2006

Cats instinctively know to use the litter box. I've never had to litter train one. There should be one litter box per cat. Some people say two litter boxes per cat, but that may be a bit much for you right now.. lol

By susan [5]09/11/2006

I wouldn't start regular food at least until they're 4-6 weeks old. Preferable the later, the better, in my opinion. As they get older, put food out for the mother. If they are ready to eat it, you'll notice them attempting to get at any food she leaves. That's when I start soaking dry food for the kittens.

I bought one of those small litter pans at Wal-marts when I had kittens, and put it in the room with them after they started walking around. They all tried to climb in and scratched around before actually using it. Some went on their own, others I had to put in the box a few times, but they all trained really fast. Just make sure the sides of the box aren't too high so they can get into it while they're small.

By Doggy (Guest Post)09/11/2006

MamaCat will usually litter train her kittens as soon as they are ready. Until then, she will clean up after them. Depending on the size of the litter (a large litter means start a little early) you can start to offer soft easily digestible foods in small amounts at about 5 weeks