Baking Soda and Vinegar Stained Table

I was making a mixture of baking soda and vinegar for cleaning and of course it bubbled over. I had a really deep bowl, but it still bubbled over the sides onto my tablecloth. Not realizing what this would do to my oak table underneath I never looked at it.

About a week later I was changing my tablecloth and was horrified to see the finish all bubbly and black from where the stuff bubbled over. I tried wiping it with a dish cloth and soap and got quite a bit off but am still left with a dark smudge. Can anyone help me get rid of that?

I really can't tell you if it would work for your table, because it sounds like acid ate through the finish.

I did try this hint from Thriftyfun for my unsealed, 60 year old wooden floors. I used baby oil and boy did it work like a charm! I even used it on two walnut end tables that are so ugly you wouldn't believe it. But my husband loves them.....!

Hardware stores used to carry some kind of furniture stripper with the word 'orange' in it. I saw commercials with it and they said it was very easy to use. I remember, years ago, seeing it for sale at Lowes or Home Depot and wanted to buy it, but didn't. I really regret that. I don't know if they sell it anymore.

I'd email Lowes and Home Depot and tell them of your problem. It might be easier to solve than you think! I sure hope so.

Good luck.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureNovember 4, 2008
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet