Salsa Roja Recipe

Our favorite Mexican restaurant, Don Jose's on East Thomas, in Phoenix, AZ, had a distinctive sauce with a burnt chili powder-ish flavor (as if it had been toasted a minute too long) in the thin dipping sauce served with complimentary tortilla chips and on the chimichanga platter. The waiter always said it was just a salsa roja.

We recently had a sauce wich reminded me of this same interesting flavor on a chimichanga in Richardson, TX, at Pancho and Lefty's on Plano Rd. and Buckingham. This waiter said that it was just a salsa roja and it contained a lot of cumin and flour.

Any ideas or recipes as to this mysterious thin non-chunky sauce? I've tried to re-create it but never had any success.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Have you tried to Google for salsa roja? Or try one of the thousands of food sites? I found a bunch of recipes but none had flour in them. What you described sounds yummy! I'll keep searching for you! Good luck and post it if/when you find it, OK??

I might suggest looking for "smoked paprika" - it's a wonderful smelling addition to many dishes and has that burnt/barbeque flavor you're describing. A little goes a long way!

sure sounds like it has chipolte in there.

I think that you might be interested in Roasted Salsa Roja Y Verde. It can be found at recipeezaar.com Recipe # 140974 Hope this is the one you want, Enjoy! ! !

I live in Mesa Az. And have been also spoiled by the Sonoran style food only Arizona has. 3 yrs later here is the link for salsa from Don Jose. I do believe is what your looking for. http://www.recipehound.com/Recipes/5067.html

Here's your salsa http://www.recipehound.com/Recipes/5067.html

Food and Recipes Recipes International Mexican SaucesDecember 25, 2006
Bowl of salsa surrounded by tomatoes.
Mild Salsa Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
Fruit Salsa Recipes
Fruit Salsa Recipes
A jar of homemade salsa.
Freezing Salsa
🎄