SaucesMexican

Salsa Roja Recipe

Our favorite Mexican restaurant, Don Jose's on East Thomas, in Phoenix, AZ, had a distinctive sauce with a burnt chili powder-ish flavor (as if it had been toasted a minute too long) in the thin dipping sauce served with complimentary tortilla chips and on the chimichanga platter. The waiter always said it was just a salsa roja.

We recently had a sauce wich reminded me of this same interesting flavor on a chimichanga in Richardson, TX, at Pancho and Lefty's on Plano Rd. and Buckingham. This waiter said that it was just a salsa roja and it contained a lot of cumin and flour.

Any ideas or recipes as to this mysterious thin non-chunky sauce? I've tried to re-create it but never had any success.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Have you tried to Google for salsa roja? Or try one of the thousands of food sites? I found a bunch of recipes but none had flour in them. What you described sounds yummy! I'll keep searching for you! Good luck and post it if/when you find it, OK??

I might suggest looking for "smoked paprika" - it's a wonderful smelling addition to many dishes and has that burnt/barbeque flavor you're describing. A little goes a long way!

sure sounds like it has chipolte in there.

I think that you might be interested in Roasted Salsa Roja Y Verde. It can be found at recipeezaar.com Recipe # 140974 Hope this is the one you want, Enjoy! ! !

I live in Mesa Az. And have been also spoiled by the Sonoran style food only Arizona has. 3 yrs later here is the link for salsa from Don Jose. I do believe is what your looking for. http://www.reci  ecipes/5067.html

Here's your salsa http://www.reci  ecipes/5067.html