How do I stop a pine tree from dripping sap?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Isap from New York, NY

Short of cutting it down, which I don't recommend, you can't stop a pine tree (or any species of tree) from dripping sap. Several internal and external forces, including internal water levels, time of the year, air temperature, disease and physical damage suffered by the tree, regulate sap flow in trees. Sap flow is simply the tree response to any one of a number of natural processes. If the sap is seeping from an area that was recently pruned, it will stop eventually. If the needles or tops of the tree look brown, dripping sap may be a sign that the tree is in trouble. I would suggest calling in a professional arborist to diagnose the problem.

If sap is dripping onto your car, I've heard of people using mayonnaise or butter to dissolve sap on car paint without hurting the finish. I can't swear that it works because I've never personally tried it. Still, it might be worth researching.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Cut it down. Sorry to say it seems to be the only way I know. Your extension or farm agent tied up with your state could give you a professional answer or correct mine if I am wrong.

I saw a video the other day. Several products were tried, to no avail. Mayo didn't do it, goof off WD 40. Believe it or not Hand sanitizer worked like a charm, I did wax my Mustang after removing the sap I was freaking out because after a bad storm, it was all over my almost new car. Sanitizer, go figure.

Be careful hand sanitizer has alcohol in it and could hurt your paint job

I also have a tree that drips sap and brown watery spots on my car,can't afford to cut it down so I got a car cover for my car,it is a pain to put no and take off but at least it keeps the sap and other things off my new car.

Sap Dripping From a Tree
Sap Dripping From a Tree
Home and Garden Gardening TreesOctober 11, 2006
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Keeping Ice Cream Cones from Dripping
Keeping Ice Cream Cones from Dripping
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber