How do I stop a pine tree from dripping sap?

Question:

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Isap from New York, NY

Answer:

Isap,

Short of cutting it down, which I don't recommend, you can't stop a pine tree (or any species of tree) from dripping sap. Several internal and external forces, including internal water levels, time of the year, air temperature, disease and physical damage suffered by the tree, regulate sap flow in trees. Sap flow is simply the tree response to any one of a number of natural processes. If the sap is seeping from an area that was recently pruned, it will stop eventually. If the needles or tops of the tree look brown, dripping sap may be a sign that the tree is in trouble. I would suggest calling in a professional arborist to diagnose the problem.

If sap is dripping onto your car, I've heard of people using mayonnaise or butter to dissolve sap on car paint without hurting the finish. I can't swear that it works because I've never personally tried it. Still, it might be worth researching.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services.

Cut it down. Sorry to say it seems to be the only way I know. Your extension or farm agent tied up with your state could give you a professional answer or correct mine if I am wrong.

I saw a video the other day. Several products were tried, to no avail. Mayo didn't do it, goof off WD 40. Believe it or not Hand sanitizer worked like a charm, I did wax my Mustang after removing the sap I was freaking out because after a bad storm, it was all over my almost new car. Sanitizer, go figure.

Be careful hand sanitizer has alcohol in it and could hurt your paint job

I have this problem on my car; pine resin dripped on the paintwork.

I used acetone to remove it (it's the same stuff that's in nail varnish remover) I'm not that worried about my paintwork and in my experience, there was no visible damage. Test on a hidden patch of paint before you use on the resin.

I also have a tree that drips sap and brown watery spots on my car,can't afford to cut it down so I got a car cover for my car,it is a pain to put no and take off but at least it keeps the sap and other things off my new car.