Controlling Ticks

How do you repel ticks from your dog and yard?

By Deb from Inverness, FL

Guinea hens. The worst infestations like in parts of Texas are totally eliminated with Guinea hens. Their best work is on ticks. Fleas, ticks, silverfish, pillbugs, cockroaches, you name it. The whole world needs at least 4 of these smart little characters for each home.

July 20, 2010 Flag

I have 2 Cocker Spaniels and they are covered in ticks. These ticks are really small and are something out of this world. Where they have skin they have ticks, it's like a big colony of them.

We have tried Frontline, K9, and one of those strong dips, but nothing seems to work. They have more ticks on the areas where we put the K9 or Frontline medicine.

I don't know what to do, I love my dogs, but I have a baby and I'm also pregnant. I can't spend the day hunting ticks on the walls. I need something really effective. What suggestions do you have for me?

By Leticia

Answers:

Controlling Ticks

Please have your Veterinarian remove all the ticks from both dogs and then have him suggest any medication that might work for you. Good luck. (06/16/2010)

By K9cats

Controlling Ticks

I failed to mention that the ticks are dangerous to your dogs and you should make sure that they don't have Lyme disease. Your Veterinarian can check for this and he can also vaccinate them for Lyme disease. (06/16/2010)

By K9cats

Controlling Ticks

We had woods where I lived as a child and the dogs and cats were always getting ticks. My Dad used the lit end of cigar to burn their butts. Ticks go in head first into the skin. People can get bit too, after this, they will pop off. Vicks Vaporub will work, too. Put on butt and cut off their air supply. Be sure to get all of their body parts. Check on the web for free consultation on most pet supply sites, they can help too. (06/16/2010)

By jd1947

Controlling Ticks

When using products like Frontline its very important not to wash your dog a few days before and a few days after applying the drops, because the drop are distributed by the oils in your dogs skin. (06/16/2010)

By MysticalDream

June 15, 2010 Flag

What is the best thing to use to get rid of ticks? I found one on my Cocker. I finally removed it, but I don't want to have to remove anymore.

By villagegirl2009 from LA

Answers:

Controlling Ticks

Coat the tick with Vaseline and leave alone for 20 minutes or so. It will suffocate and should be easy to remove with tweezers. (08/02/2009)

By lindal

Controlling Ticks

In regards to preventing your lawn from having ticks: ticks like the shade, therefore there are high tick populations in wooded areas. If you are able to keep your dogs on the lawn and away from the ecotone of your property, they will be OK. Ticks cannot survive on grass in the hot sun. (08/04/2009)

By JP McHale Pest Management

July 29, 2009 Flag

I have two dogs, a long haired and a short haired, I would like some advice on how to get rid of and prevent ticks both on my dogs and in my yard. My neighbor has dogs and doesn't treat for fleas or ticks and my pets are suffering.

Thank you.

Blake

Answers:

Controlling Ticks

Put them on Frontline (or anything else recommended by your Vet) asap. They will be tick and flea free.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia (09/06/2005)

By ILuvDobes

Pets Dogs HealthJuly 20, 2010
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Tick on Skin
Getting Rid of Ticks
Leafhopper
Identifying and Controlling Leafhoppers
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
🎉
🎄