Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Bamboo Stalks Are Yellow

I have a bamboo plant that is turning yellow and squishy. There are three stalks and only one is still green. I have tried everything, but it is still looking bad. Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it? I have had it for three years and this is the only time I have had problems.

Sarah from Statesville, NC

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jennifer [29]04/19/2010

Throw it out and go to the dollar store and get a new one. Once it is yellow, it is probably too late to save it.

By Janet [7]03/13/2009

When I lived in the South, tap water killed my Lucky Bamboo - like yours. Finally someone suggested using bottled water & it worked. Here in N.E., the tap water is fine.

By Heather [25]03/07/2009

Is it in dirt or water? Mine are in a wide vase with pebbles and water. It is good to take everything out and rinse off the pebbles from any dust annually. If in dirt, make sure no pets are getting in. You may need to repot. The quick fix to save most plants is to sprinkle some used coffee grounds onto dirt, rub into soil lightly. Banana peels work too.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Bamboo Stalks Are Yellow

Question:

I have several bamboo plants that the stalks are all yellow/brown but the shoots (leaves) are all still green. What should I do? Is there a way that I can remove the green shoot clusters and re-root them to grow once again?

The plants themselves are about 5 years old, but I have a twisted stalk one that is over 7 years old and under the same light, water, feed everything and it didn't happen to it.

I would truly appreciate any help that you could give as I really feel badly about the loss of these plants. Thanks in advance for your time.

Sherry from Omak, WA

Answer:

Hi Sherry,

I am going to assume your talking about ribbon dracaena (a.k.a. Dracaena sanderiana) or as it is commonly referred to, "Lucky Bamboo". In general, these plants are tough and seem to be able to hang on for quite some time even once they enter an apparent state of decline. Once their shoots turn yellow, though, there is not usually a whole lot you can do to reverse the damage and revive them. The good news is, you can still cut off some of the remaining healthy green shoots and root them in water.

I'm curious. Are they all in similar types of containers (ceramic or glass is best)? If the bottoms of the containers hold rocks, are the rocks all the same kind? If not, could some type of metal from either the rocks or container be leeching into the water holding the sick plants?

Are the 5 year-old stalks related to each other (from the same plant)? Are they together in the same container? If so, you may want to remove the sickest stems from the container and change the water to prevent anything from spreading to the remaining stalks.

You said you feed them all the same kind/amount of food, but is it possible that you overfed them? If so, change the water immediately and don't feed them for at least a month. Remember that even though they are all "bamboo", as individual plants the younger plants may still react differently to water chemistry, food, etc., than your older plant.

Normally when Lucky Bamboo stalks turn yellow, it is an indication of something in the water, or a sign that the plant has been overfed. My only other suggestion is to place the bamboo in a dark room for a few days and then bring it back out into the light to see if it perks up at all.

Good luck!

Ellen

RE: Bamboo Stalks Are Yellow

I have lots of bamboo in my yard and the stalks turn yellow as they are dying. The leaves stay green for a short period of time, but eventually they go to brown. I just pull straight up on the brown stalks and they come right out of the ground. Remember that this is the growing season for your bamboo and in a month or two there will be lots of new shoots coming up, so it's not really a problem if a few of them die right now. Once they start sprouting up, I can hardly keep up with cutting down the ones that I don't want (for example the ones that come up inside my hot water heater cabinet or in the middle of my lawn!). (03/17/2008)

By Heidi

RE: Bamboo Stalks Are Yellow

I had a bamboo plant in my home for a few years. Then I noticed that it was slowly turning yellow from the roots and moving up the stalk. What I did was cut it above the yellow, place the plant back in water, and it is still alive today. Hope this helps. Karyn (03/18/2008)

By Karyn01

RE: Bamboo Stalks Are Yellow

Bamboo is an unbelievably hungry plant for nitrogen. Get some buckets together, head for the nearest herd of cows and gather manure, then pile it on the dirt around the stems when you get home. Lawn fertilizer works almost as well. Make the manure 6-8 inches deep, bury the newer under the older manure to cut smell, and repeat every year. (03/19/2008)

By kimhis