Manual Carpet Sweeper Reviews

Category Cleaning
Manual Carpet Sweeper Reviews
Manual carpet sweepers can be used for quick cleaning jobs. This is a guide about manual carpet sweeper reviews.

Vacuum cleaners are getting to be too much of a hassle. Are there any good manual carpet sweepers for removing crumbs, threads, etc.?

JOE from PHILADELPHIA

I used BISSELL Carpet Sweeper, it was good, however, this company do not have any replacement parts for this item.

A replacement Brush was ordered (very expensive for 18 dollars, including shipping & handling) still it was not delivered. When contacted Customer service, the reply was that company stopped replacement parts for this sweeper. It is recommended NOT TO BUY a product from a company if they cannot supply replacement parts.

ACE Hardware sells a Bissett for $26.99 and it is just like the one my grandma used to use, way back in the 1940's. She only got the men folk to move the area rugs to the yard and hang over a clothes line where she would beat them with a "Rug Beater" once a year during Spring Housecleaning! The manual carpet sweeper had to do for the rest of the year.

I bought a sweeper from Target for only $14 that was called real simple or something like that that was great! It was better than the higher dollar ones that I got later because my grandson broke the handle on mine and I have not been able to find one again! I would love to know where to buy another one.

People today don't know how products (including carpet sweepers) used to be made--strong and long lasting.

In the early 1980s I bought a Bissell manual carpet sweeper. It finally broke--in Feb 2009--having lasted almost 30 years. It had a steel body heavy enough to not get dented, two rollers with boar's head bristles, 2 heights--for carpet or floor; it picked up most dust and pet hair as well as larger trash. Unlike plastics, it was not a super dust magnet.

I didn't have room for a full-sized vaccuum cleaner for my small apartment--but occasionally would borrow a friend's. (Six months ago I borrowed a 30-year-old Kirby which did a wonderful job.

As its owner says, "it really sucks!")

I bought a replacement--no need to mention the brand. It's one of those modern "made to break" items like most of what's made today. It's smaller, made of flimsy plastic, with one roller of cheap nylon bristles, the mechanism to open the dust pans doesn't work and I don't dare force it since it's obviously it would break. It only picks up larger trash. I'm going to return it--and now what can I do? I urge "green manufacturers" to start building products like they used to be made--built for durability and of simple, functional design.

I'm looking to purchase a good and reasonably priced sweeper that will last and do a good job.

June from Kent, WA

I have a Bissell Powerforce that I bought about 2 years ago at Wal-Mart.

It was on sale for around $50.

It is the best sweeper I've had in a long time.

I like it much better than the Oreck I had bought for $300!

I needed a sweeper for a house with no electricity and decided on a cordless vac.

The Oreck cordless, the Bissell, and Shark didn't pick up everything.

Finally, I bought the Eureka Cordless Quick-Up (grey one, not the yellow one from WalMart). I hesitated to buy this because the battery was only rated to last 15 minutes. I had a whole house to do. It turned out to be a 3 lb. dynamo. As long as I change the setting for carpet or floor, it picks up everything. The dust cup is easy to remove and the handle detaches so it becomes a "dust-buster" for stairs or furniture or car. At about 3 lbs., it is light enough to carry anywhere.

So far, I've never run out of power although I often forget to put in on the charger more than once a week. When the battery starts to go, an extra battery is inexpensive.

It now cleans my house, including the ceramic tile and grout lines that nothing else cleaned satisfactorily. My throw rugs no longer have to be shaken outside. And I am no longer exhausted from lugging the heavy vacuum around, or dragging the electric broom cord from plug to plug, only to be aggravated when it takes so many passes to pick up about 1/2 of what it should. (It never has conquered my ceramic tile grout lines.) I'm sure this little guy doesn't "deep clean" carpets but it keeps them looking nice enough that I can vacuum with my heavy duty vac when I get to it.

Oreck is expensive and it is worthless. Okay, it will pick up little "dust bunnies" on a hardwood foor. I have to vacuum carpets with my old Hoover before I run the Oreck. I purchased this because of the weight, but save your money. I will go with the Dyson as my future big expense. My neighbors rave about them.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

I bought the Swivel Sweeper. Loved it because it picked up everything, was incredibly easy to maneuver, and lightweight. However, after less than a year of usage, my Swivel Sweeper motor suddenly died on me. Up until then, I was ready to vote it best invention of the year. What's more, the warranty lasted only 3 mos and replacement parts are ridiculously expensive--almost more than what the whole machine was worth.