Browsing: Choosing a Puppy

Picking a Puppy

We discovered that the cost of a puppy at our pound is $35. It is more expensive at the SPCA ($85) but includes the cost of neutering or spaying. I was shown a way to quickly discover if the pup has been abused. Put your hand above his head in a normal backward motion as if you were going to pet him except don't touch him. If he flinches when you do that, you are likely looking at a dog that has been mistreated.

By Bev

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

When picking a new puppy, there is an easy way to determine the nature of the dog you will be getting.

Pick up the puppy gently and lay it on its back with your hand gently over its chest and belly to steady it. If the puppy resists and squirms while trying to right itself up, it will be independent and strong-willed in nature. If the puppy does not resist or fight the position, it will be more trainable.

Do not buy a puppy. Buy the dog that your puppy will one day become.

I agree............maybe.....! The pup who cringes submissively to a raised hand may have been abused OR just been at the bottom of the pecking order in the litter - but no worse for that - maybe a good and loving companion! I was told my pup had to be watched because, at 14 weeks, she growled when people approached. She is now 40kg and 10 years old and has never growled at anyone in her life - she was just a very vocal pup! The 'laying on the back' test may be true to tell a pup's intrinsic nature and 'trainability' but, if like my dogs, you have been laid on your back, and many other positions(!), numerous times as a pup to be petted and loved. you appreciate, as a pack animal, that humans are the leaders of the pack and will not attack them unless under extreme duress. It amazes me that dogs will not take medication from their owners or snap at the vet - I have 3 different sizes and breeds, (Great Dane x Mastiff, Jack Russell and beagle type mongrel), with little formal training, but they eat what I give them, never snap at strangers, but greet every newcomer as a friend.

I think dogs are like children - take their cues from the adults around them! And don't be fooled into thinking I imagine my dogs are saints! I would never allow my friendly and loving dogs to be alone with a small child - after all - they are dogs!

Regards

Jo

Better yet, don't buy a puppy at all. Save a life at a kill place. I also have had 2 abused dogs in the past & they all turned into totally trusting well adjusted happy dogs. I agree that they pick up on how they're treated. I have a dog now (1 of 3) who's very insecure when her world is rocked in any way. She's very happy & we let her have her routine most of the time, unless we have to interupt it for a good reason.

I adopt rescue Dobies, two of which were servely abused and they turned out to be sweet "lap" dogs. I don't know what the "hand" has to do with it. One was a female, abused for 8 years, she came to me and gave me 7 more years of her precious life.

Shelters and the ASPCA know the personalities of their pets.

I agree with you Vic

My husband and I have adopted two dachshunds. One was from a shelter and the other was rescued by a dachshund rescue group from a puppy mill. Our small one that was rescued from the puppy mill is very scared of people but she's absolutely precious.

The only justification I can see for using the "hand test" to test for abuse is to find a dog that needs a loving home that much more than the others.

I can't believe I have haven't heard more about adopting an animal. Saving an animals life is tantamount to everything don't buy anything ADOPT.

photo of a black and white puppy
Choosing a Puppy
Pets AdoptingNovember 16, 2004
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Raspberries on White Background
Selecting Good Raspberries
Canning Pie Filling, Cherry Pie
Canning Pie Filling
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 4:46:20 AM on 10.0.1.242 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.