Removing Soap Scum From Ceramic Tiles

I have recently moved to a house that was built in the 40's and it has black ceramic tile in the shower and bath. They are lovely, but the ones in the shower have either hard water stains or soap scum. I have already used kaboom and a few other products with no effect. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gracias!
Jen Vin from Managua, Nicaragua

The Magic Sponge takes that stuff off in my shower.

Hi try full strength vinegar in a squirt bottle, spray & let set & then wipe clean. Might take a couple of trys

For me, a one-sided razor blade is the best. You get them in the paint department and they can be inserted in a handle that is specially made for them. Just scrape the scum off and let it fall on a towel on the floor. When you are done, launder the towel and rinse down the tiles. This requires alot less brute strength.

I'd try a product like CLR that is made especially for the hard job of removing mineral deposits. Whatever product you decide to use, let the cleaner do the work. Put it on and let it set for about one half hour. Then rinse off.

Frankly, I think I'd try a brand name of Windex. Ammonia usually is good for soap scum.

Try Restore 4

www.restore4.com

Use full strength.

-------------------

Or, go to a janitorial supply company and get something commercial strength.

Use rubbing alcohol, its the best. When clean, coat the tiles with some spray furniture polish.

July 30, 2012 Flag

How can I get rid of soap scum on shower tiles. I have tried lots of things. Suggestions?

By Isabel from St. Cloud, FL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use steel wool pads (SOS, Brillo, etc. - I buy WalMart's store brand). It will take some time and elbow grease, but it's the only thing I've found that really works. And no, it won't scratch your tile.

Get a pumus stone break it in half or use whole piece. I have one for the shower and 1 for the toilets from hard water stains in them. You can find it nail & feet section at most stores or pharmacies it works great with a mix of a little water and comet or similar powder. And of course a little elbow grease but it does not scratch my tiles or the porcelain in the toilets either.Looks like new again. Please if this works for you or anyone else be sure to re post or leave positive feed back. Good luck

May 14, 2012 Flag

We have a tile shower, with colored epoxy grout. I am not really sure what to use to clean the tile due to that type of grout. Can anyone help me?

By Sandy

With colored grout you do not want to use bleach. Try the same recipe as for taking stains out of carpet. Make a paste of baking soda and scrub with a brush. Then put some vinegar in a spray bottle and it will fizz and wash away. Scrub a bit as you spray. Both stains and soap will wash away.

Baking soda is very gentle and will not scratch. The scrub brush does not need to be all that stiff so as not to scratch the grout or tiles. Remember to open the window and door and put a fan to make the vinegar smell go out the window.

There are mild vinegars out there. You may have to buy a more expensive one go get a milder smell, but for me it's worth it. (I can't stand the scent of apple cider vinegar!) The kinds that are infused with herbs are usually so mild in scent that one could drink it straight and not feel as if they are drinking vinegar.

Ceramic Tile
Removing Soap Scum from Ceramic Tile
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJune 20, 2006
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
cleaning a tub
Removing Soap Scum from a Plastic Tub
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
🎉
🎄