Handprint Lily

Category Crafts
Try making this Easter variation of using children's handprints for crafts. This is a guide about making a handprint lily.

A quick craft that kids will love.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

Instructions:

1. Draw around your child's hand including the wrist with the fingers spread out.
  2. Then starting with the thumb wrap the hand around a straw, piece of 1/4 inch dowel, or pencil. When the little finger is brought just past the thumb tape your spiral so it holds. It should be a tighter spiral around the wrist than the end of the fingers.
  3. Now take another pencil and roll the fingers back or outward to form the petals of your flower. Wrap the bottom of the flower to your stem with florist tape.
  4. Ad

5. Cut a piece of chenille 6 inches long, bend in half, curl the ends, glue in the center of your flowers for the stamen.
  6. By Ann from Loup City

What a great idea! This would be a perfect idea for Mother's Day. I'll have to remember this one. Thanks for sharing.

vguy, earle, arkansas

Here's a nice craft for little ones to do at Easter using their own handprint.

Materials:

Directions

I typed up the poem on my printshop and put a frame around it.

"My Handprint Lily"

A piece of me I give to you,
I used my thumb and fingers too,
To make this lily just for you.
It doesn't smell, it doesn't grow,
I made it because He loves us so.
Remember that on Good Friday,
Jesus died to wash our sins away.
They buried Him and 3 days passed,
He arose on Easter Sunday at last.

After you get your poem printed out you can glue it to your black paper. Take your white paper and trace the child's hand. Cut it out and curl each of the fingers around a pencil. Then using the palm of the handprint, form a cone with the fingers curling out. Tape the flower together. Then twist your green and yellow pipe cleaners together. The green is for the stem and the yellow is for the inside of the lily. Put your pipe cleaners inside your lily. Then you can hot glue your flower on the paper. Glue on the leaves.

On the back I found a story about Easter Lilies on the internet and glued it on the back. It says:

Easter Lilies

The beautiful trumpet-shaped white flowers symbolize purity, virtue, innocence, hope and life- the spiritual essence of Easter. Often called the "white-robed apostles of hope." Lilies were found growing in the Garden of Gethsemane after Christ's agony. Tradition has it that the beautiful white lilies sprung up where drops of Christ's sweat fell to the ground in his final hours of sorrow and deep distress. Churches continue this tradition at Easter time by surrounding their alters and crosses with masses of Easter Lilies to commemorate the ressurection of Jesus Christ and hope of life everlasting.

By luv2craft from Normalville, PA

I am always looking for a craft easy yet with the message of how much Jesus loves us all for my preschool class at Sunday school. When I saw this craft it made my day.

Kids won't need a green thumb to create these lilies, only the outline of their hand. Create several to form a bouquet to adorn your Easter table.

Approximate Time: About 1 hour

Instructions:

1. Draw around your child's hand onto a piece of white card stock, or similar weight paper. Cut out the shape.

2. Cut two double leaves from construction paper and punch a hole in the center of each where the leaves meet (refer to photo).

3. Curl the paper fingers and leaves by wrapping them around a pencil.

4. Wrap the hand around the top of a green plastic straw, with curled fingers facing outward, and secure it with tape.

5. Slide the leaves onto the straw from the bottom and tape them in place.

6. For the flower's center, fold half of a yellow chenille stem in half and curl down the ends.

7. Insert the folded end into the straw. Add a little glue, if necessary, to hold in place.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

How sweet Rachel's Mom! Love this!