Caring for Container Strawberries During the Winter

I started strawberries in four layered pots. I don't know what to do with them for the winter? I'm thinking I will put them in my unheated garage, but the temperature will very a great deal; from 50 degrees F on a sunny afternoon to 32 degrees F at night? If I do put them in the garage should I cut the runners off?

Dick from Newport, PA

Your garage will probably be just fine. The main thing is to provide strawberries with an adequate cold period and to try to keep the pots from freezing and thawing, which can cause damage to the plant's roots. Ideally, temperatures should remain at or below 45 ºF, but a few afternoons at 50 ºF probably won't give the pots enough time to thaw out, especially if you keep them away from windows and direct sun. If you prefer (and you have the room to do so) you can also leave the pots outside over winter. Either sink them into the ground or move them to a protected area near the side of your house (stay clear of outdoor dryer vents). Mulch around the pots with leaves and straw (or sand, wood shavings, or compost) to prevent them from suffering from freeze/thaw damage. Go ahead and trim them back.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJanuary 4, 2007
Growing Strawberries
Growing Strawberries in a Greenhouse
Coring or Hulling Strawberries
Tips for Coring or Hulling Strawberries
filled strawberry
Making Stuffed Strawberries
Fresh strawberries in a jar with a colander in the background.
Canning Strawberries