Kiddie Pool As Cooler

When cooking and serving out-of-doors, pick up one of those cheap, rigid plastic kiddy pools, fill it with ice, and set bowls of cold foods in the ice. You can also keep cans of juice or soda pop in the pool. We've been using this method for keeping foods cold when we're cooking outside and on picnics for over 40 years and have never lost a potato salad yet.

If it's a big party, by all means use 2 pools, one for drinks and one for foods. I think they take up less room than all the bowls and containers sitting out too.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

I'd like to add to this.In this heatwave we're having those pools are a great treat for our fur babies to play and cool off also.

Thanks for sharing another great tip.

This is a really good idea, and just in time for the summer picnic season. I like the idea of separating drinks and foods into separate kiddie pools. Thanks, and hugs! JPJ

This is just the greatest newsletter on the internet. I get the best recipes, the best tips, the best laughs and learn so much here. I just want to say a big Thank You to everyone who contributes so many nice ideas, photos, recipes and experience.

I love this idea of using the kiddie pool so much that I'm going straight away and buy two of them this weekend. We have a big street party coming up July 3, and I can't think of a better way to keep loads of soda pop, beer and juices nice and cold out-of-doors. It's also a nice safe way to keep cold foods ready to enjoy.

I guess we should have at least one for the puppies to play in too. LOL

That would be so cute. Thank you for sharing such a nice versatile idea.

Great idea, I second keeper with the fur babies, I put out a cat litter tray full of water for my puppy to play in.

Great idea, Julia! It'll cut down on trips in/out of the house, and make the food safer too. And Sandie, I just bought a pool for our dog Moby. He's gotten older, and the heat is starting to bother him. This got my vote!

This is a good idea even if you're just working outside and want to avoid running in and out of the house every time you want a drink. We have one of the little pools already, but it started out belonging to our dog Tootsie, and I don't think she is going to give hers up. I'll just have to buy another one. Thanks for another great idea.

I think this is a great idea too. Just beware if someone brings a big male dog to the party (or if there's one that wanders your neighborhood). They love to lift their legs on things like that. One time I saw a large dog lift his leg right into a friend's open cooler full beer, ice and pop. I'm sure you can guess my friend was very angry at the dog's owner for letting him wander.

Is there a lot of condensation on the outside when filled with ice for food?

how fast does the ice melt though? it is triple digits here lately.

Patio garden using child's pool and barrel
Uses for Wading Pools
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesJune 2, 2011
Inflating Pool Toys
Inflating Pool Toys
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
Swamp Cooler
Swamp Cooler Maintenance Tips
Several kiddie pools being used to grow plants
Using a Child's Swimming Pool as a Garden