Uses for Packing Peanuts

Category Reusing
Pink and White Packing Peanuts
This loose packing material can be reused for shipping and for a variety of other things. This guide is about uses for packing peanuts.

Like many others I use packing peanuts in my flower containers. I don't have to use as much potting soil, and it keeps my containers lighter. This year I went to go change out the soil in my biggest container. I had to hand pick out each peanut from the soil. What a chore! When I went to replace the peanuts this time, I put them in an onion net bag and tied the bag off. Next time I go to change out the potting soil it will be a snap!

By Liz from New Baden, IL

Thanks for the idea. I just put the peanuts in my flower pot, put the soil over them and thought-What happens when I have to repot with all these peanuts in the soil. Thanks for a great solution.

Thank you!

Excellent idea! Maybe panty hose "legs" could be used as an alternative to the onion bag. I've heard of using empty pop cans as a filler too.

NO, it doesn't work, just use dirt [soil][, the roots die when thery get to the peanuts. And it's murder to get them out of that soil. I reuse soil, and put it all in my compost, all the peanuts need to be removed or it will be unsightly in your garden. Also the peanuts release formaldehyde, do you want to eat that?

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would bother to pick them out and not just use fresh ones. This also insures no bugs or infestations in the soil are passed on to new plants which is a good idea. Peanuts are biodegradable so along with the soil you're replacing you can throw them in the compost pile and it all gets reused another time. Perfect recycling of all things natural. Peanuts are cheap and if you have left overs, squirrels love them.

Recyclable packing peanuts made from peanut starch make a great sculpting medium for an activity for kids. Wet the ends and press them together to build fantastic sculptures. I got this idea when I worked at a children's museum.

By Vaylmer from Boston, MA

How do you know if the packing peanuts are made from peanut starch?

Save those postal peanuts! A nice decoration can be made from them.

Save all the styrofoam peanuts you get in packages. When storing potatoes, apples, onions or fruit, just sprinkle the peanuts between layers to keep the items separated and allow air circulation.

By Ted from Leavenworth, WA

What a great idea - I never thought of this. Thank you.

You can use a large needle with fishing line to string together packing peanuts for draping over trees in the yard at Christmas. It won't hurt the tree, but if you live where there is significant wind, forget it. You can also use them indoors on the Christmas tree.

By Great Granny Vi

I love using packing peanuts. I've used them to make a snowman by gluing my peanuts to Styrofoam balls for a great center piece.

While teaching visual arts and elementary math, packing peanuts were desirable freebies from my students' parents. They served as visual counters for math operations. With art-on-a shoestring budgets, a frugal teacher can use them for multiple projects in painting, printing, texture, and gluing.

If you have extra packing peanuts that you want to reuse, then you can put them between your toes while polishing and doing your pedicure.

Do you have some Styrofoam packaging peanuts lying around? String them together using a large needle and sturdy thread (or fishing line).

Where can I purchase the non-biodegradable, non-dissolvable packing peanuts for large planters?

By Deanna H

I am assuming you want to fill in on the bottom of a planter so you don't have to use so much soil? A better way to do this is to use soda cans. They take up a lot of room and when you need to dump the soil for any reason, they don't all blow away. I know this from experience!

Recently I was to the U Haul store (where you get boxes, rent a truck, and bubble wrap etc.). They have bags of packing peanuts.

Stationery stores, UPS, etc BUT I would check with local drug stores, or shops which get in alot of glassware to sell, etc. You'd be surprised at what they are willing to give instead of throwing out. Also, check your local recycling center. They may have an idea for you to check out.

Certain companies I order from use TOO LARGE of boxes to send, and pack the rest with styro. So I bag them up, let friends know of them, and recycle them out that way.

By the way, I also use them for planters too.

I placed packing peanuts in my plants, now they emit a horrible odor. What can I do?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By Lev from Sarasota, FL

Remove them, good luck.

Packing peanuts are made from oil products and I strongly recommend against ever using them in a planter. They do eventually dissolve, and then the plants take up the residue. It could kill the plant.

Yes. Remove them from the pot and all the soil. Toss it in a hazardous waste receptacle. Wash the pot 1st with hot water and soap. Then use a scrub brush and scrub the inside vigorously with vinegar. Sprinkle in some baking soda, scrub some more.

Wash again with just hot water (no soap). Let dry in hot sun. Take plant and gently rinse off ALL the soil, you now have a bare-root plant. Trim off any really sick looking branches and leaves closely so there are no little "nubs". Fill the pot with "Potting Mix", not "Garden Soil" as Potting soil is designed for potted plants.

Garden soil is fine, but Potting Mix has special things that help both in maintaining water in the soil yet designed to let excess drain away properly. Also for an ill plant it is fortified with a low/gentle level of fertilizer for starting plants off on a new life. If you want something for drainage in the bottom of the pot, use clean pebbles about twice the size of peas. These can also be bought at the nursery.

Could I crush the packing material for making a potting soil? Will this packing material be dissolved in water, making a mess?

By Sabine Wei

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for a Kansas City Royals baseball tissue box cover made out of plastic canvas?

By Linda from Kansas City,MO

To lighten the weight of a planter (indoors or outside), fill the bottom quarter of your pot or planter with packing peanuts or Styrofoam. This is really a four in one tip:

1. It lightens the total weight.
  2. It enables you to "stretch"' your potting soil.
  3. It is good for the roots of plants.
  4. It aids drainage.

And it keeps that expanded foam out of your local landfill.

Regards- Farmerella from rural WI

Answers:

Looking for uses for packing peanuts? Use them to create a drainage layer in the bottom of your planter. This is wonderful for large planters because it helps keep them lighter when you need to move them. Make sure to use styrofoam peanuts. Biodegradable peanuts are great, but they will not work as a drainage layer since they will decompose.

Packing Peanuts For House Plants

Is it true that biodegradable packing peanuts make a good fertilizer, (organic?)

Diane

Packing Peanuts For House Plants

Although I cannot vouch for this myself, I have read somewhere on the web that one can identify biodegradable "packing peanuts" by their green color. Non-biodegradable "peanuts" are, supposedly, white.

Ralph

Packing Peanuts For House Plants

Way back in the 70's I used the the packing peanuts in pots that hung in the neat macrame pot hangers, to keep them from being too heavy. I also put them in the kid's beanbag chairs. The bags seemed to go flat after a while, and that add some more puff to them. Broken up styrofoam packing can be used in both planter and beanbags!! Worked well for us and it was cheap!!

Post by trashcrafter

Packing Peanuts For House Plants

This is a great idea that I've used several years now. I did find that if you pack the "peanuts" in an old pantyhose leg, it saves picking out all those "peanuts" when you repot or empty pots in the fall.

Julia