How Can I Resolve a Repair Dispute With Condo Manager?

There was a leak in the ceiling, I reported it to condo management. The condo management said the upstairs owner has to repair his tub and tile. Then only upstairs owner will repair ceiling.


Six months passed then condo management said they had to cut the ceiling to check if the leaking is from any pipes upstairs. There was a pipe leaking and they fixed it by calling a plumber.

The condo management called and asked us for permission to have a look at our ceiling. We gave permission to visit our home to have a look at ceiling we were out of station at that time. We came home and then to our surprise they just patched the hole they cut. It's obvious that the work is not done properly. There are still water stains around the patch. I have taken photos of it. We told them it was not done properly; they said they will only paint it. What can I do in this situation? Please help.

By Renuka from Natick, MA

May 7, 20100 found this helpful

I agree with Ann Parker. You need to go to court over this.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 7, 20100 found this helpful

Go to small claims court. You will win. You don't need a lawyer. There is a small filing fee and the judge will decide in your favor I am sure.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 7, 20100 found this helpful

In most cities and small urban areas there is usually a center that deals with these situations. Here, it is in a center called "Self Help" and they employ all kinds of small complaint companies. These services are free and they remove you from having to do the runaround work. You simply take your case to them, hopefully you have some documentation of what's been going on so take that too, and they deal directly with the landlord. If the person owns several buildings, they may already have a record and your case can be dealt with faster. Good luck, these things are so stressful.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Anonymous Flag
May 7, 20100 found this helpful

You'll be surprised just how quickly the condo association will take care of the matter if you threaten a law suit and especially because the damage is from an upstairs neighbor! And don't forget that you (or your landlord) pays association dues to cover these kinds of problems!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 7, 20100 found this helpful


Hi Friends thank you for your support.

I also found that they have ripped a stick from the ceiling, but they have not put it back the stick is still down there in bathroom.

I told them I am going to court, I did not get any reply from them.

The upstairsneighbour is a member of condo board association so the maintenance people are supporting him.



ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 9, 20100 found this helpful

If, indeed, you are unable to resolve the problem with the management, I would contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau), and file a complaint with them. After all, the condominium establishment does business in the community, and letting the BBB know of your problem(s) can only improve the likelihood that you will receive prompt and quality assistance (from management).

<p>I would only suggest involving the court system or law enforcement if it is absolutely necessary, the last resort. Either of these actions could cause undue and continued friction/problems between you and management, and if your intention is to continue living in your current home, not moving, then this probably isn't the best avenue to take. Save these as last resorts.

<p>Another thing you could do, is research your options at your local library. Ask the librarian for assistance, recommendations, and literature. He/she just might be able to give you information on local organizations or groups that assist in situations like this. Mediation is a great alternative to involving the courts or law. You would have to ask around, as to who and where you would obtain these services, but they can be quite helpful especially, if the person(s) you're dealing with are less than "agreeable." Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 10, 20100 found this helpful

I think you should sue the upstairs neighbor in small claims court. Make sure you take lots of pictures.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Anonymous Flag
May 10, 20100 found this helpful

Renuka, thank you for letting us know you threatened to take this matter to court and I seriously hope you do but hire a lawyer that deals in these types of issues and one that will work the case on a percentage basis! You can get free consultations and probably should from a couple of lawyers and choose the one you feel most comfortable with. And have a written contract!

I am going to tell you that I have a dear friend (that I've known for over twenty years) who is on a condo board in Los Angeles and is appalled to find out that the upstairs neighbor where the damage came from happens to be on your condo board and pulling this kind of garbage! There are 'laws' to protect you and that person might very well be personally in big trouble because of condo board laws! When they are in that position it is their personal responsibility to follow the letter of the law!

Also, it's not the maintenance people who make the decisions, it's the people on the board! One more thing! You pay those condo dues for just these sort of things that occur and, I think I am correct, the board is required by law to have insurance coverage for just such things that happened with you!

Good luck to you and please keep us posted!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 12, 20100 found this helpful

You have every right to have it fixed properly.

the condo mgmt company is responsible for facilitating the process. It legally should be repaired to existing or better condition than before the leak.

You have a case in small claims court if the mgmt company doesn't do their job.

Have you spoken with anyone on the board of the condo assoc. where you live? President, Vice President, Secretary, Member at large, Treasurer. Seek them out and get them on your side.

Does your condo have assoc. meetings on a regular basis? This is a definite issue to bring up.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 14, 20100 found this helpful

Hi Carly34

Thank you for the support. In my case, the person who made the damage is the Chairman of the condo association so where to complain?

Can I go directly to court or I should inform all other trustees of the condo association?

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
April 20, 20110 found this helpful

I think that no matter whether or not you decide to take action on the upstairs neighbor or the condo management company, you should definitely consult a lawyer. This can help you get a good idea of what your options really are.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceMay 5, 2010
attendant and customer at a dry cleaners
Resolving a Dispute with a Dry Cleaner
highlighed will and fountain pen
Dealing With an Estate Where There is No Will
Converting a Rental into a Condo
Patio and Balcony Gardening
Patio and Balcony Gardening
Christmas Ideas!
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 9:40:56 AM on in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!