Cleaning Microfiber Furniture

Microfiber is a favorite upholstery for furniture. Because it is generally used on couches and chairs, it is subjected to a lot of use and abuse. This is a guide about cleaning microfiber furniture.

Brown microfiber couch.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 22, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about washing microfiber cushion covers. One way to keep your microfiber cushion covers clean is to wash them.

Woman with laptop and phone sitting across a rust colored armchair.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 12, 2012 Flag

Microfiber is polyester based so most things can be used to clean polyester. If your couch has a tag: W means you can use water based cleaner, S means you can use a solvent cleaner, S-W means you can use both, and X means vacuum only.

For S-W fabrics: Use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water in equal parts, or vodka (a clear alcohol). The fabric usually becomes hard after cleaning, so gently scrub with a soft scrub brush. It will fluff up the fabric to make it soft again.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

April 29, 2011 Flag

How can I clean microfiber furniture? Most of the stain is skin oil, but there are other spills that I don't know what they are. I don't want to ruin the fabric.

By Michelle from USA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Believe it or not I have used those small packages on single "Shout" stain cleaners. Those things seem to work on everything. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

May 5, 2010 Flag

How do you clean a dried pop stain off of a microfiber couch?

By Tiffany from Casper, WY

50/50 vinegar and water

if still there, sprinkle with baking soda and then a little vinegar

It will fizz and get it out. Rinse well or it will bleach over time.

Read More Answers...

April 8, 2010 Flag

I need info on how to clean a cream microsuede couch and love seat.

By Freda from Portsmouth, VA

After working for La-Z-Boy furniture, I can tell you the only thing ever recommended was soap & warm water. The cleaning code for Microfiber is W (water). Be very careful with chemicals and solvents, they can destroy the fabric. Never go near Microfiber with something like nail polish remover, it will eat it up.

Read More Answers...

November 23, 2009 Flag

Can anyone tell me how to get Carmex (lip balm) out of dark green micro fiber sofa. She tried a shampooer and it only made it worse. It is a large area as my niece's daughter smeared it all over herself and then rolled on the couch. Thanks.

By Nancy from Mokena, IL

Nancy,

I am assuming that lip balm is wax based, if so an old issue of good housekeeping magazine suggested using an iron and kraft paper to get wax out of fabric. I would suggest using a low heat on the back of the couch as I am not familiar with what microfibre fabric is, if it does not harm the fabric it would be worth trying the above suggestion on a small corner of the stain, and deciding whether or not to continue

Hope this helps. Hugs, Cinnamon

Read More Answers...

August 19, 2012 Flag

I am looking for a homemade cleaner to clean my microfiber couch. I need suggestions to remove spots and pet odors from my microfiber couch.

By GK

I used a microfiber cloth on mine worked great. My sister said she used a magic eraser and it worked great too.

March 20, 2012 Flag

I have a few ring stains on my micro fiber couch (from my little one's sippy cup). So far I have tried Resolve upholstery cleaner, but that did not help. Does anyone have a better idea?

By Erin J. from Chicago, IL

Try baby wipes. What color is it?

February 24, 2012 Flag

Our love seat and couch is microfiber and the whole thing needs to be cleaned. The arms are especially stained. Any good ideas to clean the entire couch and love seat?

By Marianne

I would probably have it professionally cleaned, that way you wouldn't end up with mixed spots and stains. A solid color is awfully hard to keep clean and if in the cleaning process it gets more damp in some spots, you might get uneven degrees of clean.

October 29, 2011 Flag

I have the new microfiber on my chair and it collects every crumb and piece of lint! Is there any way to prevent this or clean it easily when it collects crumbs.

By Denise C.

I hate my microfiber recliner. I have purchased a cover for it, but I did use window spray on a rag to clean for a while. But the dirt just got worse and worse. I'll never buy microfiber again!

May 30, 2011 Flag

Can I use Oxiclean on my microfiber couch?

By Renee

On our couch, we use rubbing alcohol, the higher percentage the better. Dries quickly, and doesn't stain as water would.

December 20, 2010 Flag

I have a male dog that likes to get on my microfiber couch. At times he leaves little white stains. How can I get this to come out? All I have tried was water and dish detergent, that did nothing. Please help.

By Tracy from WI

Try babywipes. I prefer huggies! I have a bulldog and he drools all over the couch. Somehow his eye boogies get on there too. Baby wipes have taken blood out of the couch too!

August 2, 2010 Flag

I have a microfiber sofa and love seat, that are two months old. The color is beige. I have no problems getting stains out. My husband has a woodshop and sawdust gets on the furniture. How can I get it off? I have tried to vacuum it, but it just does not come off. I have to take a damp towel and almost beat the sofa to make the dust come off. My cushions are not removable. Any help would be appreciated.

By RachelleD from LA

Have you figured out any thing? I have a similar problem.

April 15, 2010 Flag

How do I keep off white microfiber furniture from getting dirty and stained?

By Phyllis from Lawton, OK

Step 1 Vacuum the furniture thoroughly to remove any dust, debris or sharp items that might tear or damage the furniture.

Step 2 Dampen a white cloth with a small amount of dish soap and gently swirl it over any marks, stains or food spots. Take a clean, dry white cloth and briskly rub the newly cleaned area, circling widely into the already dry areas to blend the two together. Repeat occasionally until the furniture is completely dry.

Step 3 Remove food that is stuck to the fabric by gently rubbing until the food dissolves. Do not try to pry or pick it off as this will tear the fabric, causing permanent damage to the furniture.

Step 4 Use a baby wipe to remove ink, crayons, marker and other tough stains. Baby wipes will also clean away water rings left by washing with straight water or an incorrect detergent.

Step 5 Wet a magic eraser and ring out excess moisture to remove sticky substances like gum and candy.

Step 6 Keep your microfiber furniture clean with occasional cleansing with the fabric attachment for your steam cleaner. If you don't have a steam cleaner, you can rent one. Good luck.

December 14, 2007 Flag

Can I use OxiCLean on a microfiber sofa. They are brown and they have black water ring stains on them.

Lourdes from New York

I first test the oxyclean on an underneath or back area of the sofa where you can't see it. This way if they oxy-clean fades the fabric, you'll know & won't use it. I'd first try my favorite organic stain remover HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (meaning it always removes ORGANIC, or natural stains, stains caused by "Natural" things.... Peroxide will remove grape juice, but not grape drink or kool-aid) Peroxide will remove blood (straight ammonia also works wonders with dried on blood!), red wine, hot cocoa & coffee stains, but nothing with artificial dyes or colors. But I don't know about your problem... It's worth a try... but ALWAYS FIRST DO A SAMPLE TEST AREA before using any new cleaner.

DIRECTIONS: Just pour the peroxide on the area & wait, then blot with a white towel or white rag... Then repeat if needed. (I left the peroxide on an area of wall to wall carpet with dried on coffee stains for about 20 min then blotted & added more peroxide & rubbed it in with my finger or toothbrush & waited another 20 min, then blotted till dry. It worked wonders! The coffee stains were TOTALLY gone!) No rinsing is needed & peroxide leaves no residue. OR you can put the peroxide in a small, well marked spray bottle & spray it on... You can also use a tooth brush & dip the toothbrush into the peroxide & scrub a bit. But first, let the peroxide sit a bit to do it's "fizzing-thing". Never use the peroxide made for bleaching hair, it's WAY to strong! Just use the cheap kind you but at the grocery or drug store. It's with the first-aid supplies.

If you DO use the oly-clean, make sure to dilute it with alot of water first!... I'm wondering if after the area cleaned with the oxyclean sits in the sun for a while if it might fade quicker than the rest of the fabric... Does anybody know if this is true???

November 8, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know how I can remove Vaseline from a Microfiber dining chair (with non removable covers)?

I have the same question. Is there anybody out there that can give any advice??? Thanks

December 20, 2010 Flag

How do I clean my new microfiber couch? It has a black stain; I don't know what it is.

By Rosemarie from Corvallis, OR

October 23, 2010 Flag

How do I clean a light beige (cream colored) micro-fiber sectional? I picked up a Lazyboy sectional this past week. It is dusty, smelly, and very dirty! I read the instructions that were on the tags of the furniture. They say to clean the fabric using the WS instructions.
This use to be a very beautiful set. (And by the grace of God) it will be again.

Does anyone know a way to clean this material with outstanding results? The cushions do come off. However, it is a pillow top type. So I don't know if this type of cushions should be put in a washing machine.
Please, can anyone help me?

By Barbarajeanne68 from Portland, OR

Answers:

Cleaning Microfiber Furniture

I recently paid over 300 bucks to have three microfiber pieces cleaned. Two weeks later, my dog had licked himself silly and slobbered all over it. After some research, I decided to try to wash the entire cover in the washer. I figure it looked terrible already, how much worse could it get. Well after a fast tumble in the dryer (avoid shrinkage) they came out awesome. They smell a lot better as well. (07/18/2010)

By summermas

Cleaning Microfiber Furniture

I would suggest calling a professional carpet and upholstery cleaning service. I had a white sofa that got very dirty and I had it cleaned this way, it looked and smelled brand new. Good luck. :) (07/24/2010)

By yoder178

Cleaning Microfiber Furniture

I took my pillowtop cushions out of their covers and washed them in the washer on delicate and dried them with no heat. My couch is beautiful now. It looks brand new and the covers didn't shrink like I was afraid of. (09/30/2010)

By Ashleybanee

July 19, 2010 Flag

I have a microfiber couch, it is 2 months old. How do I get saw dust, grit, etc. out of it? I tired vacuuming it. No success. Any help would be appreciated.

April 23, 2010 Flag

How can I remove oily hair smell from microfiber sofa pillows?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureFebruary 14, 2012
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:04:18 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 735 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.