Cleaning Microfiber Furniture

Category Furniture
Microfiber is a favorite upholstery for furniture. Because it is generally used on couches and chairs, it is subjected to a lot of use and abuse. This is a guide about cleaning microfiber furniture.

Microfiber is polyester based so most things can be used to clean polyester. If your couch has a tag: W means you can use water based cleaner, S means you can use a solvent cleaner, S-W means you can use both, and X means vacuum only.

For S-W fabrics: Use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water in equal parts, or vodka (a clear alcohol). The fabric usually becomes hard after cleaning, so gently scrub with a soft scrub brush. It will fluff up the fabric to make it soft again.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Microsuede footstool

This is a guide about cleaning microsuede furniture. While possibly easier to clean than its leather inspiration, the nap on micro suede does require some care when cleaning.

Kitten laying on couch with a pen

This is a guide about cleaning ink on microfiber furniture. Removing an ink stain on microfiber furniture is generally successful if you use the right product and method.

Close up of microfiber chair with water spots

This is a guide about water spots on a micro fiber couch. Water marks on microfiber are either the result of previous cleaning attempts or a spill. It is easy to remove them and have your couch looking great again.

Steam cleaning a couch

This is a guide about using a steam cleaner on microfiber. Steam cleaning is a great way to tackle many household cleaning jobs without the use of chemical cleaners.

Woman with laptop and phone sitting across a rust colored armchair.

This is a guide about washing microfiber cushion covers. One way to keep your microfiber cushion covers clean is to wash them.

When cleaning my micro fiber couch, it seems the alcohol is making even more rings/spots. What should I do or try?

due to the special materials used, you should use a specialised cleaner, such as this one: http://www.chem  p/cws_201_16.htm

How can I clean microfiber furniture? Most of the stain is skin oil, but there are other spills that I don't know what they are. I don't want to ruin the fabric.

By Michelle from USA

Natural cleaners can work wonders. Try club soda, leave it on for a few minutes, then blot. Or try vinegar and warm water. As for chemical cleaners try Dreft laundry spray. It is usually where the detergents are, or baby section. It is wonderful at lifting stains. I use on clothes also. Works better than the other spot removers, especially oily stains or "human stains" Test an area first to make sure it doesn't discolor. Good luck!

How do you clean a dried pop stain off of a microfiber couch?

By Tiffany from Casper, WY

The cleaning code on microfiber is W (water). Use warm water & a little mild soap only. No chemicals. I worked for La-Z-Boy for years & sold a LOT of microfiber.

I need info on how to clean a cream microsuede couch and love seat.

By Freda from Portsmouth, VA

We've had many different types of fabric on our furniture over the years, with kids and dogs, and microsuede is, by far, the easiest we have found to clean and maintain. I'm not sure where you are, but in Canada we have a product called ProSolve, which is a foam spray that comes in an aerosol can. If you need to spot clean, just spray it on the area, let it sit for a minute or two, and then rub with a clean sponge or cloth.

It will take out just about anything (including pen ink). I would think any spot-cleaning product would work just as well. You may find after spot-cleaning though that the area will be noticeable because the area around it doesn't look as clean. We have a small cleaning machine called a Green Machine that is perfect for cleaning sofa upholstery etc. Our sofa. love seat and chair is a light beige microsuede, we've had it for 5 years, and using the methods I've mentioned, it still looks like new!

Can anyone tell me how to get Carmex (lip balm) out of dark green micro fiber sofa. She tried a shampooer and it only made it worse. It is a large area as my niece's daughter smeared it all over herself and then rolled on the couch. Thanks.

By Nancy from Mokena, IL

My dog knocked a pan of vegetable oil off the stove, rolled in it and then rolled around on my brand new micro fiber couch to get it off. I used dawn dish soap mixed with water and a hard bristle brush and then used the attachment on my carpet cleaner to pull any left over water out, let it dry in the sun, no oil and no "water spots" appeared. Good Luck

Can I use Oxiclean on my microfiber couch?

By Renee

On our couch, we use rubbing alcohol, the higher percentage the better. Dries quickly, and doesn't stain as water would.

How do I remove white spots from microfiber chairs?

By Ruth

I am looking for a homemade cleaner to clean my microfiber couch. I need suggestions to remove spots and pet odors from my microfiber couch.

By GK

I used a microfiber cloth on mine worked great. My sister said she used a magic eraser and it worked great too.

I have a few ring stains on my micro fiber couch (from my little one's sippy cup). So far I have tried Resolve upholstery cleaner, but that did not help. Does anyone have a better idea?

By Erin J. from Chicago, IL

Try baby wipes. What color is it?

Our love seat and couch is microfiber and the whole thing needs to be cleaned. The arms are especially stained. Any good ideas to clean the entire couch and love seat?

By Marianne

I would probably have it professionally cleaned, that way you wouldn't end up with mixed spots and stains. A solid color is awfully hard to keep clean and if in the cleaning process it gets more damp in some spots, you might get uneven degrees of clean.

I have the new microfiber on my chair and it collects every crumb and piece of lint! Is there any way to prevent this or clean it easily when it collects crumbs.

By Denise C.

I hate my microfiber recliner. I have purchased a cover for it, but I did use window spray on a rag to clean for a while. But the dirt just got worse and worse. I'll never buy microfiber again!

How do I get red Kool-Aid out of micro fiber?

By Karen

How do I clean puppy pee from a microfiber couch? Please help.

By Sylwia O.

I have everyday usage soil stains and blood stains from my dog. What can I use that won't harm the fabric protection I had put on it when I purchased it?

By Vicki S.

How do we get out puppy pee from our micro weave furniture covers?

By JRB

I have a male dog that likes to get on my microfiber couch. At times he leaves little white stains. How can I get this to come out? All I have tried was water and dish detergent, that did nothing. Please help.

By Tracy from WI

Try babywipes. I prefer huggies! I have a bulldog and he drools all over the couch. Somehow his eye boogies get on there too. Baby wipes have taken blood out of the couch too!

I have a microfiber sofa and love seat, that are two months old. The color is beige. I have no problems getting stains out. My husband has a woodshop and sawdust gets on the furniture. How can I get it off? I have tried to vacuum it, but it just does not come off. I have to take a damp towel and almost beat the sofa to make the dust come off. My cushions are not removable. Any help would be appreciated.

By RachelleD from LA

Have you figured out any thing? I have a similar problem.

I have washed my microfiber cushion covers in the washing machine, but there are still round stains on the covers. How do I get the stains out of my cushion covers?

By Justina

How do I keep off white microfiber furniture from getting dirty and stained?

By Phyllis from Lawton, OK

Step 1 Vacuum the furniture thoroughly to remove any dust, debris or sharp items that might tear or damage the furniture.

Step 2 Dampen a white cloth with a small amount of dish soap and gently swirl it over any marks, stains or food spots. Take a clean, dry white cloth and briskly rub the newly cleaned area, circling widely into the already dry areas to blend the two together. Repeat occasionally until the furniture is completely dry.

Step 3 Remove food that is stuck to the fabric by gently rubbing until the food dissolves. Do not try to pry or pick it off as this will tear the fabric, causing permanent damage to the furniture.

Step 4 Use a baby wipe to remove ink, crayons, marker and other tough stains. Baby wipes will also clean away water rings left by washing with straight water or an incorrect detergent.

Step 5 Wet a magic eraser and ring out excess moisture to remove sticky substances like gum and candy.

Step 6 Keep your microfiber furniture clean with occasional cleansing with the fabric attachment for your steam cleaner. If you don't have a steam cleaner, you can rent one. Good luck.

I just bought a beautiful medium grey microfiber sofa from a thrift store. I got an awesome deal on it (only $20). It's actually in very good condition. The only thing is, it has a few stains here and there, some light, some dark. I want to thoroughly clean it and give it some TLC to bring it back to it's former glory, but I don't want to ruin my bargain find.

Should I just take the seat covers off and throw them in the wash and steam clean the rest of the sofa? I also want to re-stuff the seat cushions and then Scotch Guard the entire sofa. What are my best options?

By Jacque from Clementon, NJ

How do I get lip gloss off my micro fiber couch?

By Serena

How do you get ketchup out of a microfiber couch cushion?

By EL from MN

Load More