Vent Dryer Inside in Winter

Save some money on heat this winter. Vent your electric clothes dryer inside in the winter! Not only will you recover all the heat normally pumped outside but you'll be adding humidity to the air.

Simply disconnect the venting pipe to the outside and install a separate 4 inch aluminum flexible vent pipe. Bring the pipe up behind the dryer and extend it over the top so you can reach it. Put a knee high stocking over the end to catch the lint. Be sure to insulate (like stuff an old towel) in the opening to the outside for the rest of the season.

Source: My Dad had showed me this years ago.

By Jim from Cleveland, OH

By Cindy j Dornon 02/03/2010

Need to mention not on gas driers the as well as gas stoves should be vented outside.

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Good point. It is now noted for electric clothes dryers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Debby [21] 02/04/2010

I've read where people put their dog's house next to their outside dryer vent. This way the dog's house gets some warm air.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By susan [8] 02/04/2010

I know that this has been mentioned in the past, but be careful with this one. I bought one of those kits to vent my dryer in my laundryroom instead of outside during the cold winter months, and I ended up with bronchial problems. No matter how well filtered, tiny particles of fabric dust escape into the air. Once these are breathed in, they can cause major health problems. This probably isn't too bad of an idea if the dryer is in the basement, where the dust can settle. Mine is on our main floor, right next to the kitchen. I do laundry while working in my kitchen, so I was breathing in the dust everytime I did laundry. This certainly wouldn't be a good idea for anyone with asthma or allergies.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lelia Jo Cordell [51] 02/09/2010

Hey, my allergies can't get any worse, lol! Besides, the extra humidity just might help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Louise B. [6] 02/17/2010

This will also put a lot of humidity in the air. That could be good or bad, depending on your situation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By doris gordon [4] 06/29/2013

We tried this in the past, but moisture formed on our wooden rafters. Bad idea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By April [187] 06/29/2013

As a firefighter, I can tell you that in most areas this is against the building code for all dryers, regardless of if it is gas or electric.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No