Vent Dryer Inside in Winter

By jim 15 3

Save some money on heat this winter. Vent your electric clothes dryer inside in the winter! Not only will you recover all the heat normally pumped outside but you'll be adding humidity to the air.

Simply disconnect the venting pipe to the outside and install a separate 4 inch aluminum flexible vent pipe. Bring the pipe up behind the dryer and extend it over the top so you can reach it. Put a knee high stocking over the end to catch the lint. Be sure to insulate (like stuff an old towel) in the opening to the outside for the rest of the season.

Source: My Dad had showed me this years ago.

By Jim from Cleveland, OH

Showing: Comments Sort

By Cindy j Dornon 1 13 Flag

Need to mention not on gas driers the as well as gas stoves should be vented outside.

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Good point. It is now noted for electric clothes dryers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debby 21 90 Flag

I've read where people put their dog's house next to their outside dryer vent. This way the dog's house gets some warm air.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 8 1,368 Flag

I know that this has been mentioned in the past, but be careful with this one. I bought one of those kits to vent my dryer in my laundryroom instead of outside during the cold winter months, and I ended up with bronchial problems. No matter how well filtered, tiny particles of fabric dust escape into the air. Once these are breathed in, they can cause major health problems. This probably isn't too bad of an idea if the dryer is in the basement, where the dust can settle. Mine is on our main floor, right next to the kitchen. I do laundry while working in my kitchen, so I was breathing in the dust everytime I did laundry. This certainly wouldn't be a good idea for anyone with asthma or allergies.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lelia Jo Cordell 51 1,936 Flag

Hey, my allergies can't get any worse, lol! Besides, the extra humidity just might help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

This will also put a lot of humidity in the air. That could be good or bad, depending on your situation.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By doris gordon 4 82 Flag

We tried this in the past, but moisture formed on our wooden rafters. Bad idea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By April 187 452 Flag

As a firefighter, I can tell you that in most areas this is against the building code for all dryers, regardless of if it is gas or electric.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

clothes dryer
Venting Your Dryer Inside
Previous
Better Living Frugal Living TipsFebruary 2, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Floor Air Vent
Removing Urine Odors From an Air Vent
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
clothes dryer
Venting Your Dryer Inside
Clothes Dryer
Cleaning a Dryer Vent
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:52:12 PM on 10.0.1.237 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings