Vent Dryer Inside in Winter

Save some money on heat this winter. Vent your electric clothes dryer inside in the winter! Not only will you recover all the heat normally pumped outside but you'll be adding humidity to the air.

Simply disconnect the venting pipe to the outside and install a separate 4 inch aluminum flexible vent pipe. Bring the pipe up behind the dryer and extend it over the top so you can reach it. Put a knee high stocking over the end to catch the lint. Be sure to insulate (like stuff an old towel) in the opening to the outside for the rest of the season.

Source: My Dad had showed me this years ago.

By Jim from Cleveland, OH

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Need to mention not on gas driers the as well as gas stoves should be vented outside.

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Good point. It is now noted for electric clothes dryers.

I've read where people put their dog's house next to their outside dryer vent. This way the dog's house gets some warm air.

I know that this has been mentioned in the past, but be careful with this one. I bought one of those kits to vent my dryer in my laundryroom instead of outside during the cold winter months, and I ended up with bronchial problems. No matter how well filtered, tiny particles of fabric dust escape into the air. Once these are breathed in, they can cause major health problems. This probably isn't too bad of an idea if the dryer is in the basement, where the dust can settle. Mine is on our main floor, right next to the kitchen. I do laundry while working in my kitchen, so I was breathing in the dust everytime I did laundry. This certainly wouldn't be a good idea for anyone with asthma or allergies.

Hey, my allergies can't get any worse, lol! Besides, the extra humidity just might help.

This will also put a lot of humidity in the air. That could be good or bad, depending on your situation.

We tried this in the past, but moisture formed on our wooden rafters. Bad idea.

As a firefighter, I can tell you that in most areas this is against the building code for all dryers, regardless of if it is gas or electric.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

clothes dryer
Venting Your Dryer Inside
Better Living Frugal Living TipsFebruary 2, 2010
Floor Air Vent
Removing Urine Odors From an Air Vent
wild mouse
Keeping Mice Out of a Dryer Vent
Dryer Vent Snowman
Making a Dryer Vent Snowman
Clothes Dryer
Cleaning a Dryer Vent
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 13, 2016 at 11:32:04 AM on 10.0.0.156 in 750 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.