Cleaning a Dryer Vent

Category Appliances
Keeping your dryer vent clean not only helps it work more efficiently, but can help prevent a fire. This is a guide about cleaning a dryer vent.

Who do I call to clean out the vent from my gas dryer to the outside of the house? I can't do it myself as the dryer is in the middle of the house and the vent runs the length of the family room above the ceiling to the outside of the house. WHO does that sort of work? Thanks for any tips. I really need to have this done and have been postponing it for a long enough time that I'm nervous using it!

Mary Jo from St. Paul, Minnesota

Answers

What about a company that cleans furnace and air conditioning duct work? They have the equipment needed for the job.

Call Dryer Vent Wizard 866-498-7233. They are the best.

I had the furnace duct cleaners in before I put my house on the market. I had them clean out my dryer vent while they were at it. It only cost me another $10 (on top of the furnace cleaning). Well worth the peace of mind, considering that the number one cause of house fires is the dryer. It was also another feature I could point out to potential buyers!

Even though we live in Central Florida, we still have a fireplace we use during the coolest months. We have our chimney cleaned once a year, and he also does the dryer vent. You might try a chimney sweep!

You need to call an appliance tech to do this. Most of them (at least my husband does) has a special device he uses that goes up into the vent system to clean it out without tearing the internal venting ducts. The best way to keep your vent clean it to clean the trap out of the dryer itself before and/or after every use.

Does anyone know how to clean out your clothes dryer vent?

Leah from North Hollywood, CA

Answers

The best way is to hire it done. The safest way is to let an appliance tech do it. My husband the appliance tech has a special tool designed to go into the internal vent system to clean it out carefully without detaching the vent itself. Always remember to clean the lint trap after each use and you won't have to have my husband out there cleaning the vent system.

You can buy a tool for about 10 dollars at most hardware stores or home improvement centers like Home Depot, Lowes etc. It is a long flexible thing (sort of like a drain cleaning snake) with a brush on the end.

Use your leaf blower hooked to the inside to blow out all the lint. Works every time.

How do you make sure your dryer vent is not clogged up like a chimney? Should they be cleaned yearly?

By Sharon

Answers

Personally I liked to clean mine every few months. I always got enough lint out of there to scare the bejeeburs outta me! I use a clothes line now but was a bit fanatical about cleaning the hose and vent duct when I had a tumble dryer because I was really afraid of fire.

There are brushes you can buy at any d-i-y centre that go up the vent/hose and knock off the accumulated lint; you can also tape a dish mop to the end of the vacuum hose and send it in that way.

At least twice a year (at the very least) you should remove and inspect the vent hose, clean it and the duct work to the vent. The easiest ones to clean and replace are the rigid aluminum ones, those plastic things are super hard to clean, tear easily, and are dangerous. The aluminum foil ones are not much better than the plastic ones.

If you are really handy you can disconnect the machine from the wall and pull the back panel to clear the lint out of there, but be careful about static electricity sparking a fire. Read your owner's manual for specifics to your machine; if you don't have one it's easy to Google and find a free one to download.