Pressure Cooker Vs. Crock Pot

Is a pressure cooker worth the investment? How does it differ from a crock pot?

Sara from Missouri

I have both and use both..The pressure cooker will have a roast done in about 45 min...but sometimes I use the crock pot and let it simmer all day while I'm at work..The pressure cooker makes the cooking time wayyy less :0)

For a better understanding of both the pressure cooker and the crock pot it will be helpful if you will type Pressure cooking - Wikipedia into your search engine. There you will receive detailed information as to what a pressure cooker will do. Then the next step is to type into your search engine Slow cooking - Wikipedia, where you will again get detailed information on the usage of the crock pot/slow cooker. After this you will know if either item will be helpful to you.

Hope this helps.

I have a big pressure cooker to use for canning, a small pressure pan for everyday cooking and a slow-cooker. They all are wonderful for their individual purposes. My latest items to cook in the pressure pan are potatoes for potato salad cooked in seven minutes and sweet and sour pork dish, 10 minutes after the control jiggled.

I agree with gardenlady and add that if you ever go camping or on a boat with a galley, the pressure cooker is nearly indispensable. Go for it (or them); just don't stint on quality and do be sure the pressure cooker is stainless, not the cheaper aluminum. Unless you have a big family, don't get too big a crockpot (be sure the ceramic insert is removable for cleaning). There's one out now that has 3 different-sized inserts! Cay from FL

Also a pressure cooker will cook dried beans a lot faster than the usual way. If you forget to soak the beans, you can bring the pot of beans and water up to pressure and then let the beans soak for about an hour. Cooks magazine says this cuts down on the gas producing aspect of beans.

They have different purposes. Both are good for less expensive cuts that can't be grilled or pan fried. Crock pots are for when you go away for the day or don't want to watch the cooking because you are working on a project. Pressure cookers are quick, but you should be in the room with them. I've had a pressure cooker and use it for stew, potatoes, carrots, but not many complete meals. Do not cook dried peas in it as it clogs the vents too much.

The pressure cooker is fast, and needs to be attended closely. The crock pot is slow, and can be left to cook all day alone, while you're away. I'm a crock pot kind of person.

I saw your post and wanted to caution you. I was a paramedic for almost 10 years, and have seen what a faulty pressure gauge will do. I've been on many calls where people received 2nd degree burns all over their chest, face, arms, etc. after removing the lid of a pressure cooker. The pressure gauge is supposed to tell you when it's safe to open the lid, but most of the accidents I've seen were caused by pressure cookers bought at yard sales. Please be careful and register for recalls just in case.

I LOVE LOVE my pressure cooker. A slow cooker takes hours where a pressure cooker takes minutes in comparsion. If I have a frozen piece of meat I put some potatoes on the bottom then the frozen meat on top with some seasoning and it takes about 30 minutes. If the meat is thawed I brown it really really good and then the potatos (so they get the drippings off the meat) and meat on top and after the jiggle starts about 30 minutes later you have tender meat and potatoes. Of course you can throw an onion and carrots in it also. My mother always used one and todays are a lot safer. I feel they are a great value. I got mine that had a large pan and small pan for about $45 sometime last year online through wal mart I believe. Hope that helps.

Hey Sara! A crock pot cooks great if you have all day to cook a meal. A pressure cooker will cook the whole meal in, most of the time, under an hour! They are great time savers! Good luck!

The flavor of the food is better when done in a Pressure Cooker. It is also faster. We have a Rival Pressure Cooker and it makes the best roast beef.Gary Dominicus

I like the taste of roast beef in pressure cooker it is so good for all meats. That being said I FEAR pressure cookers. My mom used hers a lot, but after a neighbor spent a few days in the hospital due to burns. My mom used it less and we were not allowed in kitchen during that time. In other words, I am chicken!

Not only is a pressure cooker dangerous, but it doesn't make meat nearly as tender as a crock pot can. I'll never use a pressure cooker again.

Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Consumer Advice Product ReviewsMay 5, 2008
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
simmering crock pot
Cleaning a Crock Pot
Pressure Cooker with Vegetables
Pressure Cooker Recipes
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap
🎄