Homemade Elizabethan Collar for Dogs

My 5 month puppy has to wear a plastic cone, e-collar, due to a procedure done. Does anyone have suggestion how to make a more comfortable one?
Thank you.

By Teresa from Saint Paris, OH

Best Answer

Years ago I decided there had to be a cheaper, more humane version of the Elizabethan collar, so I made one from a plastic milk jug. I had to play with it a bit cutting here and there. I put little cuts along the collar line and laced my dog's collar thru it to keep it in place. Then I was able to trim the back part a bit lower so she could move around more comfortabley and see where she was going, but still not be able to get at her stitches. Good luck!

Best Answer

I used the plastic one from the vet as a pattern and made one out of a very heavy interfacing type of material from the fabric store. It is kind of rigid but flexible at the same time. I ironed on fabric on both sides before cutting it out; sewed around all the edges with the zig zag stitch; and then used strips of Velcro on the ends. I used this on both cats and dogs and they seemed to tolerate it much easier than the plastic ones.

Best Answer

I used a plastic container from deli section. Cut bottom off, covered cut edge with duct tape, punched holes through duct taped edge and threaded long shoe lace through. Put an adjustable dog collar through and that was all. Made it several years ago and still using it!

I'm having a Red Green moment here; I just thought of a placemat you can get cheap at Family Dollar and cut it to fit and duct tape it closed. For around the neck, line the edge with scrap of soft cloth or couple layers of duct tape. When you want to remove, cut down the tape line and reapply when ready for pet to wear again.

I really found success with the blow-up from petco (although not inexpensive). Looks like a travel pillow.

A dog wearing a collar.
Making a Dog Collar
Pets Dogs GroomingJuly 26, 2010
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
Dog in Elizabethan Pet Collar
Alternative To Elizabethan Pet Collar
dress shirt
Collar Stay Replacement Ideas
Shar-Pei wearing a collar.
Finding a Collar for a Large Dog
🎉
🎄