Health Issues After Quitting Smoking

A doctor discussing a chest x-ray with a patient.
Many people experience issues with their health in the months after quitting cigarettes. This is a guide about health issues after quitting smoking.

This is a guide about having a sore throat since quitting smoking. If you have recently quit smoking there may be some health issues like sore throats that you need to deal with for a brief time.

A woman with a sore throat.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Since Aug. I have had a sore throat on the right side with on/off ear pain. The ENT said it is a cyst, not a big deal he said. I quit smoking and thought it would get better, no. I gained 20 pounds not smoking, now I have a really sore throat and reflux. My stomach is always distended and I now have to take Acid blocker pills which do not help.

Now I have pain in left abdominal area by my belly button. My Primary thinks the throat and ear pain is due to Gerd. Anyone else have issues after quitting smoking and feeling worse? I go to a Gastro doctor on Monday. My dad passed away from Espo. cancer 8 years ago.

mom of 2

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Congratulations on quitting smoking! Did you know it is more difficult to give up nicotine than it is to kick heroin? PROOF: look at all the people who have kicked the heroin habit but still smoke!

I got THE worst bronchial cough 5 days after I finally quit smoking. It lasted 3 weeks. The icky feeling goes away, however. Keep it up. I'm 16 years smoke free this coming March 27th, and it was the most difficult thing I ever did....but not a day goes by where I'm not grateful I no longer smoke.

Call your local American Lung Association chapter if you have any questions or concerns. They were a godsend for me while I was quitting and I know they will help you too.

Best Answer

Since you had the earache and sore throat before you quit smoking, they probably aren't related. The cyst probably just grew bigger and started causing worse problems, which it would have eventually anyway. Cysts are filled with waste/infection, so it is possible that this is part of what is causing the pain. Infection will run throughout your body, and make you feel like you've been run over by a truck. Your body is trying to expel the nicotine, and retaining water (bloating) is part of the process.

I'm sure you probably smoked for years, and it will take a while before your system straightens out (a side effect caused by the smoking). Unfortunately, we are always most comfortable with what we know rather than going into something blindly with new consequences (not smoking). Please hang in there. Since you are strong enough to quit,

I'm sure after all this is over, you'll be glad you did. Have you considered natural ways of allowing your body to detoxify? They might be difficult at first, but will benefit you in the long run. Try soaking in a hot tub with epsom salts (to draw toxins out of the body), a massage (will also move toxins through you faster), buy a vibrator and run it all over your body (will relax the muscles and help empty the lymphatic system--OK, move toxins out), chiropractic adjustments, pumping good vitamins, an exercise program, etc.

Now's the time to pamper yourself; use the money you would have spent on the cigarettes to gain control over your health. If you can work through this, you can do anything you set your mind to. God bless.