Memorial to Our Girl Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix)

Maggie was an 11 year old Golden Retriever Mix. My wife and I went to the SPCA on October 22, 1996 to adopt a pet. We were walking through the kennel while all of the dogs were jumping and barking, except for Maggie. Both of us went into her cage and I went down on one knee and Maggie put her chin on my knee. Right away we both knew that we would take Maggie home.

She loved to fetch the ball, take walks and sit with her family and sister Sallie. Four months ago Maggie started sneezing followed by nose bleeds. We took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with sinus tumors. The bleeding became more frequent and Maggie would just lay around not wanting to be with her family. On October 25, 2007, Maggie was put to rest at 9:20 a.m. Her family was with her the entire time. We all miss and love her very much.

Old dog.

My heart goes out to you and your family, Paul. I know how hard it is to part with a family member you all loved so much. At least you were all with her when Maggie crossed over Rainbow Bridge. She now without pain and, I'm sure, watching over you.

Dear Paul, what a lovely tribute to a lovely dog. In time, perhaps you will find it in your hearts to give a home to another shelter dog.

So sorry you lost your best girl.

You both sound like wonderful pet parents. I hope, in time, that you will take another deserving shelter pup into your home and hearts.

Wishing you well.

I have tears in my eyes as I read your post. I have a

Basset Hound and have been his "mommy" for 13 years now. I'm keeping you in my prayers over your heartbreaking loss.

What a beautiful soulful face.

So sorry for your loss. It makes me want to go home and smooch my dog!

God bless

My heart goes out to you, such a nice girl, God put you together for the life she had left. You and she were blessed. Take care of yourselves, that is what Maggie would want you to do. God Bless

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose such a special family member. I am sure it was hard to see her suffering and at the same time your hearts breaking at the prospect of losing her for a season. I lost my sweet boy Rascal, a Malamute mix, a year ago this December 1st when he was 12 1/2 years old. He loved to pose for the camera, but would often pretend he was too shy. I still miss him more than words can say. I have had four other dogs in my life and I do miss them too, but not like my Rascal. He was loved by many as was your Maggie. Some of my kids are pushing to have me get another "best friend"...but my heart is not ready yet. I pray your family's tears will be few and your memories will be many. And when you are all ready, I hope you find another "best friend" and talk to them about Maggie's place in your family.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. What a beautiful girl she was (and still is, in your hearts).

(Author Unknown)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to

someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are

meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can

run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and

sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to

health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made

whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our

dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and

content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone

very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run

and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops

and looks into the distance. His/her bright eyes are intent;

his/her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly s/he begins to

run from the group, flying over the green grass, his/her legs

carrying him/her faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend

meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted

again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again

caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting

eyes of your pet, so long gone form your life but never absent

from your heart.

Then together you and your special pet cross the Rainbow Bridge

It's only been a few weeks without Maggie and I still can't stop thinking of her. The whole family has been giving Maggie's sister Sallie extra love. I think it's been hardest on my mom (81 y/o). Maggie never left her side. I think she knew my mom needed her close. I want to thank everyone for all of their support.

When I read your story about Maggie, I couldn't help but extend my sympathies to you and your family for your loss. I lost my 8 1/2 year old Cocker Spaniel on 11/8/2003 and I still miss her so much. I have a new Cocker now, and I love her, but I will always miss my Belle. She developed some type of parasite that took her out in 3 days. Our whole family cried when she passed away. The bond that we make with a pet is something that only other pet lovers can understand. I still tear up when I talk about her. My prayers are with you as you and your family go thru this time of grieving for Maggie.

I had to put my 11 year old longhaired dachshund down 2 years ago and it was the hardest, saddest thing I have ever done. My heart goes out to you. But don't let your grief stop you from rescuing another dog. I have two new guys since Molly (Doodad and Osgood) and I plan never to be without a dog again.

Tears came to my eyes, when I read Maggie's tribute and saw her picture. We animal lovers can relate how these dear souls enter our heart. I had to have my BooBoo kitty put to sleep over Memorial day of this year. I have had alot of cats in 40 yrs. of marriage, but he was the sweetest and cutest cat that I have ever had. He was only 4yrs. old and had a bad heart. I held him while he left me behind and left this world. We, all, know how you feel.

Please know that all of us who have "furry children" empathize with you. It's so very hard to lose one of your dear friends. I had a wonderful dog named Maggie also. that I adopted from the Humane Society. She died from liver disease at age 8. She bought so much joy to our lives and the lives of the nursing home residents I took her to visit weekly. I never thought I'd love another dog as much. Two years later I got another older dog, Kato. He's not the same as Maggie (no one could ever take her place), but we love him just as much for who he is. I hope that with all the love you have in your heart for your Maggie, you can give some of it to another dog in honor of her. Maggie would like that, I'm sure.

I'm crying. I have 4 dogs and a cat. Maggie, Nikki, Alvie, Coco and Tommy the cat.

I'm dreading the day.

My condolences to you and your family.

This is just beautiful for all of us that have lost a beloved pet.

The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and earth. It's called the "Rainbow" bridge.

Just this side of the "Rainbow" Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water, and warm spring weather.

Those old and frail animals are young again. They run and play all day as if time had no ending.

But there is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth.

So, each day, they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up.

The nose twitches, the ears are up, the eyes are staring and this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace.

Your face is kissed again and again and again , and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the "Rainbow" bridge together, never again to be separated.

Maggie will forever be grateful for your family taking her to a good home.

We in Canada send our love to your Family. Maggie, although you are gone, we sadly miss you too. With best regards.

I am so sorry about your Maggie. My heart ached when I read your tribute. We lost our golden Rusty on 11/4/07, from the same exact cancer. He was bleeding from the nose and 4 months later he passed away peacefully. Our house is still so quiet, I still can't bring myself to get another dog. I miss him so much...

Golden Retriever Mix
Golden Retriever Mix Photos
Pets Pet PagesNovember 7, 2007
13 year old gift ideas
Gift Ideas for a 13 Year Old Girl
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dutch Girl Costume
Flower Girl Smiling in Front of Bride and Groom
Frugal Flower Girl Tips
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos