Golden Retriever - Breed Information and Photos

Breed Description: Golden Retrievers are hardy, well-built dogs with a wavy golden coat and gentle loyal nature. This breed of highly-trainable sporting dogs is confident, alert, and eager to please. Their scenting ability and responsiveness in the field makes them superior hunting dogs, while their gentle, loving nature make them good family dogs.

Group: Sporting Group.

Purpose of Breed: Retrieving birds

Country of Origin: English-Scottish Border

Average Size: Golden Retrievers range from 20 inches to 24 inches and from 60-70 pounds depending on sex.

Color(s): Any shade of gold or cream.

Coat Type: This breed has a dense, water-repellent coat that is either flat or wavy.

Grooming: The Golden Retriever is an average shedder. Their coat needs to be groomed at least twice-weekly to stay in top form. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Golden Retrievers are active dogs that need daily outdoor exercise and human contact. This large, energetic breed needs daily outdoor exercise to maintain its physical and mental health. They especially enjoy games involving retrieving. Golden retrievers are not suited to apartment living.

Temperament: The Golden Retriever is gentle and easy to train and makes an excellent family dog. They are patient and gentle, making them wonderful companions for children. Golden retrievers are superb hunting dogs and are happiest when spending time with their family or when fetching and caring for their master. They also make excellent guard dogs.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to skin allergies, thyroid problems, eye problems, and hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-13 years.

Trivia: The first three dogs of any breed to win the title of AKC Obedience Champion, were all Golden Retrievers.

More Information: Golden Retriever Club of America

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

30 Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Dobey is 3 years old, and a Golden Retriever. I was at the end of my pregnancy and my Aunt's dog had puppies. I swore I would never get a puppy but I felt it would be the right thing for my child to have growing up!

Dobey (Golden Retriever)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 21

Cuddles is 3 month old Golden Retriever. She was a pup from my dog's litter that I decided to keep. She loves to play with socks and run and rip around the house! She loves to tease her older aunt lab mix, Lucky, with it.

Cuddles (Golden Retriever)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

We got Zoe when, on the way home from Six Flags, my dad (who was driving), took a wrong turn and spotted a "Golden Retriever puppies for sale!" sign. She was the last one for sale, but made an instant connection with my brothers and I.

In Memory of Zoe (Golden Retriever)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 23

I was on the way to pick her up and I got a phone call from my doctor. He said that I may have breast cancer. When I picked her up, I knew she was my angel dog.

Bailey with golf ball in mouth

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

Winston is a 10 month old Golden Retriever. I bought him for my son last Christmas. My son was born on that day and always wanted his own dog. He takes excellent care of him and they sleep together every night.

Winston (Golden Retriever)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14

Max is a 6 year old Golden Retriever. Max is dog number three that we inherited from our son. He is a 100 pound retriever, and fits the name "Howard the Coward."

Max (Golden Retriever)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14

I bought him in the summer of 2012 for my mom's birthday.

Scout With a Santa Hat

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

This is my boy Scout enjoying the winter wonderland! Scout is a Golden Retriever who brings great joy to our lives. He will be six years old on March 28th.

Scout (Golden Retriever)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Aloha! Lona'Kai and Jaxon Rolls-Royce are 9 month old Golden Retrievers. We purchased them from a breeder in May 2008. We selected Jaxon after playing with the puppies for a while, but Lona started crying when we were getting ready to leave, we had to take her too!

Golden Retriever

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

Link is an 8 years old Golden Retriever. We got him from a great breeder in Ottawa, KS. His mom's name is Winnie, she is a beautiful golden. He loves the dog park and running in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Link (Golden Retriever)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

I got my puppy from a breeder in Virginia near where I was living back in 2009. He loves to shake a blanket he's had since he was a puppy whenever he sees someone walking their dog.

Raven (Golden Retriever) - dog with face half covered with purple blanket

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

I got her from a breeder a couple hours away from where I live. I brought her home in February 2012.

Sandy on deck.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Maggie is 14 years old and a mixed Golden Retriever. Maggie was a rescue dog and was 14 months old when we brought her home. She was full grown, was house trained and was past that puppy chewing phase.

Maggie (Golden Retriever Mix) on a wooden deck

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4
Load More
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Golden RetrieverDecember 9, 2012
😷
🎄
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Golden-Retriever-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html