Replacing a Watch Battery

When your watch stops working, the first possibility is that the battery is dead. Although it is sometimes difficult to remove the back, you can replace the battery yourself. This is a guide about replacing a watch battery.

November 18, 2010 Flag

I have several watches. Some for good, some for everyday. When I am not wearing the watches, I pull out the stem and that makes them stop working. This saves on the life of the battery and won't wear them down when they aren't being worn.

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I have done that to my Christmas watches every every year, I pull the stem out, I figured that out on my own, but this year they are down anyway, so I wondered if there is a way to charge them back up, can you do the freezer thing to them ? I have never tried the regular batteries in the freezer, but I heard they work, do they?

May 30, 2007 Flag

My watch battery suddenly went out on the weekend, so I looked for cheap watches and they were almost $10 and hideous. So I went to the 99 Cent Store and got myself a Betty Boop watch (They had Lucy ones, too, really cute.) Unfortunately the buckle was flimsy and flew off in the car, I taped it temporarily. Once home, I applied 2 of my 99 Cent Store velcro squares for a closing and now it looks great and fits, too. It will get me through until I can get to the jeweler to change the battery. (We did try to do it ourselves, but there's a trick to it...) Frugality wins again!

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 6 Comments

November 11, 2010 Flag

How do you change the battery of a Timex watch that takes a CR1216 battery?

By dg from MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I take my watches where ever I am going to buy the battery and they install the battery for me. I usually do this at WalMart.

Radio Shack will also install a new battery in your watch. It was closer than a drive to WalMart for me and I figured I saved it on gas in my car to have them do it and buy the battery there.

FYI - Walmart will only change batteries in watches they sell. If you did not buy your watch at Walmart they will not assist you in changing your battery.

Another bit of info, when I lived in Maryland I found a jewelry store that would sell me a lifetime warranty watch battery. They installed it as well. It cost a little more, but every time I needed a battery I went back to them and got a new one installed no questions asked. That lasted 8 years and about 5 batteries until I moved away. I still have that watch and if I went back they would probably replace it again. God I loved that.

Any jeweler shop will do it. I don't think I would trust an inexperienced Radio Shack employee to change a watch battery.

I have to agree with those that go to a jewelry shop (my best experiences are with locally owned businesses) for watch battery replacement. Even if they don't have exactly what you need on hand, the good ones will find a replacement battery for you within days and will probably clean and shine the watch as well.

Need watch batteries. I say Dollar Tree all the way. They have several different sizes all for just $1.00.

February 11, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a replacement batterer for a Fossil wrist watch FS 2689 (250001). If the back is opened, do I need to replace the waterproof gasket?

By Andrew

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I took mine to a watchman/jeweler. They only charge a few dollars for installation + battery.

You can find directions on the internet for changing Fossil watch batteries, but I think you'd be better off having it done. I know, jewelers charge a lot. Maybe you can find an experienced repair person who charges less. Maybe a Batteries Plus store would know someone.

You do have to put that little rubber gasket back in, and if it's broken, you need to get a new one. Otherwise, your watch will no longer be water-resistant (no such thing as waterproof).

Some watches have notches on the back which are just for decoration, and those watch backs can be popped off with a thin knife blade, but I think Fossil backs have to be unscrewed.

We take our Fossil watches to the Dakota Watch kiosk at the mall. They have to use a special tool to get the back off.

Both of my daughters have Fossil watches and when contacting the company they were told that the warranty on the watch (usually lifetime) would be voided if the battery was not replaced by an authorized Fossil dealer. Yes, it's a tad pricey, but to keep the lifetime warranty I believe it's worth it!

September 6, 2013 Flag

What size screwdriver is needed and what size battery is needed? The watch is a ladies small watch.

By Les C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 13, 2007 Flag

I change the battery myself on my watches (I have a large collection). The only problem I have is the musical watches. I can change the battery for the music portion of the watch but I still can't get any music to play. The watch portion (time keeping) will be fine. The music portion is a piece that you have to remove completely if you want to change the battery for the time keeping portion of the watch. It looks like I put that piece in the same way as it was originally but I don't know if I have to "do" something special to get the music portion of the watch to work once its been removed and put back. Can anyone help me with this?

Mary from Bakersfield, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Other WatchesAugust 9, 2013
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Jumper Cables
Jump Starting a Car Battery
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:45:27 AM on 10.0.2.254 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.