Replacing Your Watch Battery

contest winner icon
I always took my watches to the jeweler to have them replace the battery, at a cost of $8-$15. I saw watch batteries for the first time at Dollar Tree, and decided that I would try to replace them myself. Dollar Tree sold them 4 to a pack, which ends up being 25 cents to fix a watch.

Total Time: 5-10 minutes

1. Place your watch down on a towel, to protect the face.
  2. The hardest part is taking the back off. There is a notch someplace on the back. Stick a very small flat head screwdriver in and pry off the back.
  3. Some watches have a plastic piece covering the battery. If yours does, remove it.
  4. Use a non-metal tool to pop the battery out. I used a toothpick. Look at the number of the battery imprinted on the top. That is the replacement battery to buy.
  5. Put the new battery in. Check to see that the watch works.
  6. Replace the plastic piece that covers the battery, if you had one.
  7. Replace the back. You may have to press hard to push it back in.
  8. Make a note of which type of battery your watch uses, to make it easier next time.
  9. Ad

sounds easy i will have to see if my dollar tree has the batteries or look on amazon lol, yeah i pay like 7.00 at the jewelers too they raised the price it use to be 5.00 and i have quite a few watches so that is costly great tip thanks.

When you buy cheap batteries you may find they last a very short time. Also, the batteries may leak more quickly. Buy batteries in Wal-mart in their camera department or at a good grocery store that sells batteries and replace them yourself. I have been doing this for years. Some watches do not allow you to change your own as you need a special tool to open the back. In this case....head to Wal-mart. A new battery and done for you for a few dollars. I don't go to the jewelers.

The batteries were made by Sunbeam, a brand I recognized, so I felt confident buying them.

I have a scale that uses watch-type batteries, and for a while I was going to a local jewelry store to replace them--at about $6-7 a pop.

I decided to check on Amazon, and got several of them for a lot cheaper.

Be careful opening your watch. I worked for a jeweler and they use a special wrench to unscrew the back. To save a few dollars you don't want to ruin a good watch.

You make an excellent point. I noticed that many of my watch backs were scratched. I assume this was done by the jeweler, since I never touched them. Since I posted i repaired one more watch, a Gruen. It was very easy to take off. From now on I will put masking tape on the back of the watch, just in case. I will be looking for that tool if I get a watch that I cannot open. So far Ive fixed all 8 watches in our household with no issues.