Color Choice to Make Kitchen More Modern

I am in the process of renovating my kitchen and need some advice. I've already purchased the cabinets. There's a dark grey-brown grain that runs through them. My dilemma is this: I adore the cabinets, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a granite counter top/tile floor/wall color combo that will make them look more modern. I don't want white walls. Any ideas?

My appliances are stainless and black. The kitchen is not terribly large and the one window faces a brick wall a few feet away, so there will be little natural light. I have pot lights in the ceiling, one main center light, and under-cabinet LED lighting. Also, I am limited in my granite choices to the cheapest ones, so I'm leaning towards something black(ish) with flecks of green or maybe brown.

Raeyn from Chicago

This sounds like it could be a very cozy, comfortable kitchen. I would like to know what colors you are using for the rest of your home. Most likely you have a color 'personality' and something along those lines would make you feel the most happy in your kitchen.

It can be nice to carry your colors over from room to room in some way to give continuity to your living space. You can add a spot of another color to give the kitchen some added zing. For instance, if your living room has a lot of burgundy in it, perhaps you would like to rev it up a notch with brighter red and touches of yellow in the kitchen. Or you could complement the burgundy with a blue or green in the cooking area.

If you can handle the presence of a strong color for an extended period of time, you might like to make a bold move with an umber or pumpkin color on the walls. That would add warmth around the stainless and black, would complement any green in the countertop, and would go well with the brown/grey in the cabinets.

I prefer using a neutral color such as a warm beige, candlelight, or deep buttercream in the kitchen. That would keep the area light, with the illusion of more space, and you could add curtains and accessories in whatever color you like at the time.

For instance, deep buttercream walls with hunter( or mint) green,burgundy (or red),navy blue (or light blue) basic accessories would be nice, in my opinion. You could easily switch from gem colors to pastels to suit the seasons or your tastes if you just want a change.Black and red accessories would look very metro/modern.

Keep in mind how the color makes you feel, and how it looks when there is actual food around. I once saw a mauve countertop that was lovely, but food looked unappetizing against it.

A warm neutral color would look not half bad with the view of the brick wall, either (might as well make the best of it!) Have fun with your decor, and I hope this was of help.

Taupe, a light grey-brown color, would blend well with your cabinets and black counter-top.

The previous post by Cathy S was excellent. She gave good ideas, imho.

The choice of your counter tops is the most important one because paint can always be changed. I'd hesitate to add another neutral, green, to the palette because then you're stuck with it. I think I'd try charcoal counter tops with shades of taupe (brownish-grey). I always like to have some black in the room, but I think you may have that covered with some on appliances.

Also, I've been watching for magazine photos of kitchen's I liked. I've noticed that recently there is a trend toward light countertops. If that is the case, then you might think of lighter grey with flecks of cream. Look around, inquire, and see what you think.

Don't limit yourself to granite. Perhaps the counter top you're looking for is in another medium. I'm not sure if its better to have a lower grade of a more expensive one or top grade of a moderately priced one.

Cathy S suggested butter cream as a choice for wall paint. I just love that idea as it would be very classy. White comes in so many shades!! Butter cream isn't white and it isn't yellow. Its in between. Its white with warmth or sunshine. If your kitchen is dark like mine, it can use a little sunshine. Mine looks out onto a shady mountain. (smile) Don't forget to pain the ceiling. Trends now have it colored. I[m looking at tints of white. Perhaps you'll do that too. I think it can make the room look larger if it blends with the ceiling and with adjoining rooms.

You didn't mention flooring. Flooring is at least one fourth of the color of the room. I'm trying one of the newer hardwood laminates. Keep it light. Maybe you can blend it with the color of an adjoining room so it looks bigger.

Good luck

If you look at magazines and in-store kitchen displays, there is usually contrast between the cabinets and counters. That is to say, light cabinets, dark counters or dark cabinets, light counters. Maybe it would help to keep that in mind when you make your choice. I also like Cathy's advise. Very good.

Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenJanuary 9, 2008
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Young Boy Pretending to be a Pilot in Cardboard Plane
Making a Pilot Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎉
🎄