By Marie from West Dundee, IL
Editor's Note: Too much bleach in the water could be a concern if you have children or pets, especially cats who drink out of the fountain. Having said that, bleach is used to clean contaminated water after floods, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of regular unscented 5.25% household bleach per gallon of water should be fine (Source: CDC.gov).
Read feedback for this post below. Click here to post feedback.
I add this amt. to my covered rainbarrels and planted bog garden as well, as one of the very few chemicals I use in my Organic Zeriscaped yard and garden. It really works and harms nothing. I have on rare occasions during hottest weather bleached my moldy sidewalk/patio/garden furniturre/umbrella and they both sparkle and smell great. I am very congnizant of the risks and dangers as well and take great precautions and don't rush.
I have several indoor fountains and do the same as you. Pets can smell even a small amount outdoors and do not drink from any water containing it.
God bless you. : )
My fountains slightly splash when they run constantly (and my cat drinks from them too). I started using just a little vinegar in the water. It works just as well as the bleach, but has an added bonus of helping to keep fleas off my cat (when he drinks the water). And with just a small amount, nothing smells like vinegar.
That's also the ratio of bleach to water they recommend to us for storing water for earthquakes, etc....
Add your voice to the conversation.