Add Bleach To Your Fountain Water

I have a lovely indoor water fountain that I'd stopped using because I had to clean it too often. Now, I use it all the time thanks to a tip from my local florist. Her tip for keeping it clean was to add a little bleach to the water that is recycled. This keeps it so nicely that I only have to clean it every once in a while.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Editor's Note: Too much bleach in the water could be a concern if you have children or pets, especially cats who drink out of the fountain. Having said that, bleach is used to clean contaminated water after floods, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of regular unscented 5.25% household bleach per gallon of water should be fine (Source:

That's also the ratio of bleach to water they recommend to us for storing water for earthquakes, etc....

My fountains slightly splash when they run constantly (and my cat drinks from them too). I started using just a little vinegar in the water. It works just as well as the bleach, but has an added bonus of helping to keep fleas off my cat (when he drinks the water). And with just a small amount, nothing smells like vinegar.

I add this amt. to my covered rainbarrels and planted bog garden as well, as one of the very few chemicals I use in my Organic Zeriscaped yard and garden. It really works and harms nothing. I have on rare occasions during hottest weather bleached my moldy sidewalk/patio/garden furniturre/umbrella and they both sparkle and smell great. I am very congnizant of the risks and dangers as well and take great precautions and don't rush.

I have several indoor fountains and do the same as you. Pets can smell even a small amount outdoors and do not drink from any water containing it.

God bless you. : )

I have an indoor Fountain shaped like a large vase. I love it and I only use distilled water. It takes about four to five gallon bottles of distilled water. I used to find a product at Bed Bath & Beyond called, Scale Gone. But can't find it anymore. I need something to make sure my fountain continues to work properly and scale free. I don't want the scale to clog my hose or motor. Can you please tell me what to use and where to find it. I've heard to use bleach or vinegar, but I'm afraid to use either. Please help.

Keeping Water Fountains Free of Mineral Deposits
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousJune 5, 2007
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Make Your Own Bleach Pen
Make Your Own Bleach Pen
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Inexpensive Water Fountain
Building an Inexpensive Water Fountain