FurnitureCleaning

Pet Accident on Microfiber

Category Furniture

I have a red microfiber chair. I just got a new kitten. The kitten went to the bathroom on the chair. It did not stain, but I can't get the odor out of the chair. I have tried 2 remedies I found on this page, windex and warm water and dish soap. Windex didn't work at all (do I have to use a whole bottle?) and the soap and warm water has left a slimy soap residue on the chair that I am still trying to get off. Still the smell lingers. What else can I do?

Corey from Denver, CO

Hi Corey,

A professional furniture cleaner told me that microfiber can be washed in a washing machine.

If the stain is on the cushion, you're probably in luck.

Remove the cover and place in the washer. Use the gentle cycle with cold water. To get the odor out, use baking soda with the laundry detergent. It will help neutralize the smell. Woolite might be good, if you don't have an He frontloader.

He also suggested using plain rubbing alcohol on microfiber to get the stain out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

U.Y.

Corey,

I'm assuming this was a urine stain? We have 5 pets, and one of them has gone on our couch in the past. What has always worked for us is Febreze- it eliminates odors. You just have to make sure you get to the source of the odor- meaning if it has penetrated past the microfiber cover and into the foam of the cushion, just spraying it on the outside won't get rid of it. You will have to remove the cover (if it's removable), spray the cover, and also spray the foam inside. Make sure you saturate it!! The Febreze has to get to the source of the odor. And then place it outside to dry. I assure you, if you spray Febreze on the source of the odor (hopefully being a kitten it didn't penetrate too far), it will work. Let us know!

Corey,

I imagine you've already found a solution that works, but there are products specifically made for removing pet stains and odors. It's available from many sources, including places like PetsMart, some grocery stores and certainly online. Just spray it on. It works like a charm. There are different brands but the bottle I currently have is called Out.

Corey,

My cat had an "accident" on my new microfiber recliner, just like he had an "accident" on the old chair...Since there was no odor, I used a little water. However, I then bought a waterproof pad and a mat with an uncomfortable texture. If that doesn't work I'll buy that 19.99 black light and odor/stain remover they sell at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Of course, the cat stays!!

My male cat is almost a year old, and I'm thinking his "tomcat" qualities have kicked in since he's spraying all over the house! I went to Petsmart and got two products. "Stink Free" and Simple Solution brand Oxy Solution (stain and odor destroyer). The Stink Free is awsome! After using it (you really have to soak some areas down because the spray doesn't just go in a line or puddle, it goes in a V form sometimes. But the solutions are remarkable!) I will be getting "Tom" fixed, that usually settles them down. Hope this helps.

I use "natures miracle" purchased at pet stores to remove pet urine from just about everything (6 dogs). Before I purchased my new microfiber couch, I tested it on a store sample. It seemed to work without any problem. Natures miracle is an enzyme based product. I havent received my new couch yet, but think its O.K. Test it first on an inconspicous area. good luck.