Lid Covers Prevent the Toilet Seat from Staying Up

I like to use lid covers on my toilet. The problem is for the guys - how can they get the seat to stay up since the thickness of the lid cover prevents this?

Polly from Turtle Creek, PA

My aunt solved this problem by putting the cover on the inside of the lid. That way the lid had to stay open but she said they liked the soft cover to lean back on.

attach a tiny square of velcro hook and loop to both the seat cover and the tank cover works perfectly, use the sew on king so it does not come off. the other type can not wash or dry but sew on kind can. sold in walmart in the craft department in dots of both hook and loop per pack for $1.99 for about 12 sets.

Those are good ideas for the lid to stay up. I need to know how to keep the seat up (for the men). The lid stays up okay.

Polly G

You might just have to forget a cover or get a thinner one. I never have bothered with a cover because it's just one more thing for them to get dirty and for me to wash. The bath mat is enough for them to get dirt and mud on.

I don't use lid covers for my toilet seats, but the rule in my house is that lids are always down. I came up with that rule after reading about how many small toddlers drown in toilets many years ago. I can see why as they can pull themselves up enough to fall head first in but not strong enough to get back out once their feet leave the ground. I didn't know it was a danger when our sons were small but had read about the statistics when our first grandchild came along and that's when I came up with the rule of seats always down. Besides that I now think it makes the bathroom look a lot neater to always have the seat down and by having a cover that is thicker makes it much easier.

So funny that while I dislike lid covers, I used one for a while to "train" hubby to put the lid down when he was finished. You see, since the cover prevents the seat from staying up, he had to hold it up and then put it down when finished. I'm now rid of the cover (which I'm glad for - too much extra washing) but he still remembers to put the seat and lid back down! Now, how to deal with getting out a new roll of TP if he uses the last bit.

A white toilet with a green toilet seat cover.
Using a Toilet Seat Cover
Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomJanuary 26, 2009
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
Wood Toilet Seat
Repairing a Peeling Wood Toilet Seat
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet