Recipes For Low Sodium Diet

My husband has been put on a low sodium diet. Does anyone have any recipes that would meet this description? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Alice from Centerville, OH

Search for low salt recipes on google.

I try to cook all our meals without adding any salt and try to use reduced sodium products or natural foods. Whoever wants salt can add it to their food at the table.

Living without salt in the diet is easy, just don't eat it or add it to foods and check all your labels for sodium content. You'll be surprised at how much sodium is in everything you eat without even realizing it.

You can cook with so many different other spices, that you don't even miss the salt. It is definitely a better and more healthy way to eat!

Try Mrs. Dash or other brands of salt free spices.

Another trick is to rinse all your canned veggies in running water, add back a little plain water, spices and heat.

Good luck.

Trying to cut down sodium is very challenging. I recently discovered Eden Organic canned beans. The ones I bought only had 15 mg sodium per serving versus well over 200 mg for regular canned beans. Just this one substitution can make a huge difference. I try not to use canned anything if I can help it, but dried beans just don't always turn out very well for me. Good Luck.

When my husband was on a low sodium diet there was a very good site with recipes and many good products for sale. I am sorry I don't remember the name but if you search I am sure you will find many good ones.

The key to going low salt is use as little as possible processed foods and those u do use check the sodium content religiously. A biggie is processed meats, but look for hidden sodium in unexpected places like jello and pudding mixes. It is usually relatively easy to lower the sodium in your favorite recipes, most can be made without added salt safely or you can at least halve it. Baking soda and powder include salt as well, so that too can add salt. As for actual recipes, try allrecipes.com and googling lowsalt or saltfree free recipes.

Look up the DASH diet put out by the American Heart Association.

If you're a pizza addict like me, buy a bread machine to make the dough in a snap. My pizzas have between 300 - 500 mg of sodium depending on what I top it with. Most pizzas are between 4,000 and 7,000 mg.

Packaged foods are the worse culprits. They not only use salt for flavor but as a preservative as well. Be careful reading labels. Some are very deceptive. They list a very low sodium content per serving but when you look at the serving size you see why.

Braggs Amino Acid (soy sauce) is one of my pet peeves on this subject. People swear by it because it's low sodium. Lower then normal but still not that low. I rarely use soy sauce anymore but when I do, I use Trader Joes low sodium soy sauce. Don't have the labels with me but I do believe that soy sauce is at least 30% less then Braggs.

Sauces and condiments are usually high in sodium. So check the labels. Yes that's me in the middle of the aisle with the glasses on checking all the labels - ha, ha.

low salt recipes
Low Sodium Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting Low SaltSeptember 24, 2008
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Adding Raw Food To Your Diet
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
🎄
🍂